N777UA
Topic Author

Airspace/Waters Between U.S. & Hawaii

Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:31 pm

We all know Hawaii is a state of the U.S.A., but it is also a third of the way across the Pacific Ocean. When airplanes fly from the U.S. to Hawaii, and cross over the California coast over the Pacific, do they leave U.S. airspace, which then re-starts once they near the Hawaiian Islands, or is U.S. airspace continuous?

Also, same question, but for water...international waters, or US waters?

dispatcher

RE: Airspace/Waters Between U.S. & Hawaii

Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:27 pm

They enter International airspace but are still controlled by Oakland Oceanic.

shaun3000

Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:40 pm

Good question.

When we fly to Alaska, do we enter Canadian airspace, or does US airspace go across Canada into Alaska?  Big grin

L-188

Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:15 pm

You go into Canadian Airspace.

I have to file international any time I send an airplane to the Lower 48.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

shaun3000

Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:33 pm

Yes, yes, I know. I was only joking around.

Laugh out loud

HAL

Sun Feb 02, 2003 7:09 pm

International airspace is given over to control by different agencies, with the dividing lines set by ICAO (International Civil Aeronautics Organization).

Around Hawaii (within about 300 miles or so) it is US airspace, just like in the mainland. The rest of it is international airpace, controlled by Oakland Oceanic control. The surprising thing is that Oakland controls airspace most of the way across the Pacific.

This link includes a small chart of the various airspace control areas in the Pacific. http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/pilotcentre/training/RVSM/01over/01over02a1.htm

One other interesting thing is that we don't talk directly to Oakland control while flying over the Pacific. A private radio company called AIRINC acts as a middleman between us and Oakland, and also between us and our company dispatchers. We talk to them on the HF radio, and they relay the information about when we pass waypoints, and position reports and requests for altitude changes to the controllers. Then AIRINC relays the responses back to us. It's a little bit slow and clumsy, but for now that's the way it is done.

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.