mirrodie

GSE-boarding Stairs- Adelaide, Australia

Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:41 am

Regarding the following Ground service Equipment:

I recall whilst visiting Adelaide in 2001 that we were allowed to exit out 737 a/c from both the front and the rear doors.

I have deplaned from many a/c useing stairs before, but these were 'covered' stairs. I mean, you were covered ONLY while you came down the stairs.

What was the point of having covered stairs? I didn't understand. I mean, it WAS raining that day. And for few seconds that we WERE on the flight of stairs, you are dry, but then you have to WALK on the tarmac, into the airport anyway. So you get wet just the same.

So is there a functional point to having such equipement?

Opps, here is a photo of a SIMILAR stairway.
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Krzysztof Skowronski

[Edited 2003-02-24 03:54:11]
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

buckfifty

RE: GSE-boarding Stairs- Adelaide, Australia

Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:06 pm

Because you can be deplaning onto a waiting bus. Or they don't want to get the aluminum stairs wet, so passengers will trip and fall over themselves.

mirrodie

Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:16 am

I DID think this way BUT wouldn't pax wet shoes get the stairs wet regardless??

I just seems a bit overkill for something not completely effective.

Anyone else?

regards, mirrodie
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

dinker225

Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:44 am

I think there would be less water with the stairs covered. Think about straight rain falling on the stairs and some wet feet. Without the cover the stairs get alot wetter. That could be the reason, who knows.

Dinker
Two rules in aviation, don't hit anything and don't run out of gas, cause if you run out of gas yer gonna hit something.

POSITIVE RATE

Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:48 pm

Off the topic a bit but Adelaide is one of the few airports left in Australia where you can deplane/board using airstairs rather than aerobridges- which i like better anyway. I love walking underneath the wing of the airplane before i board from the rear. It beats aerobridges anytime(except in pouring rain!)

mirrodie

Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:32 pm

Thanks for the replies thus far. I too LOVE walking up to the plane on the tarmac. I love getting the chance to touch the fuselage and nacelle skin. (just a superstition thing)

On my particular flight out of ADL, we were able to board the a/c from the front and rear via these stairs. Would have loved to have taken the photo of that plane with both stairs on it.

I finally found the BEST image that I could find thus far on this site which shows a part of the ground service equipment that I am talking about.

So apparently it is a truck and it is also found in Hamilton Airport.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Michael Kelly

Anyone else got photos?

Mirrodie

buckfifty

Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:16 pm

The reasons of what I listed are actually the reasons why they have covered stairs. They used to have them at Kai Tak, and there is quite a noticable difference between going down stairs that were not covered and going down stairs that are.

Incidentally, I flew out of ADL just ten days ago, and didn't see any covered stairs...