gigneil

What Is "information".

Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:38 pm

For example, I hear "...with information bravo" or "...with information uniform" frequently on UA Ch 9, and seeing it in the caption of this pic made me think about it again.

Is there a simple-ish explanation? I don't need stupid level but I sure don't need pilot level.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Gregg Stansbery

N

doug_or

RE: What Is "information".

Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:43 pm

Its is the ATIS they have. Bascialy, every hour (or more often if conditions warrant) the controlers record a message with information regarding the airport's current conditions. at the end of the message it says "advise on intial contact you have _". this lets the controllers know you have the most up to date conditions. if you don't they will either give the changes to you over the frequency, or tell you to go get your own damn self.
When in doubt, one B pump off

airplay

Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:46 pm

Airports broadcast an Automated Terminal Information System (ATIS) that alerts pilots to relevent information such as the active runway, altimeter settings, weather, NOTAMS etc. The recorded ATIS message repeats continuously.

ATIS messages are assigned a letter (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie etc...) that allows ATC to determine how "fresh" the pilot's information is. If the pilot says he has "information Tango" but the latest ATIS message was "Sierra", ATC may want to update the pilot.

OPNLguy

Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:47 pm

They're refering to the ATIS broadcast. ATIS stands for automated terminal information service, which is nothing more than a short-loop tape recording made by ATC tower personnel (usally, once an hour) that contains airport weather, runways and approaches in-use, and any notices to airmen (NOTAMS about closures, inop navaids, etc. Each time the ATIS tape is updated, it gets a sequential identifier (Alpha, Bravo, etc.) to distinguish it from the previous one.

When pilots mention to ATC that they have information "whatever", they're saving ATC from repeating the same info over and over again on the radio, and it also allows ATC to know whether a crew has stale info, i.e. a crew calls in with "Charlie" but that "Delta" is now current. (Updated after the crew checked and got "Charlie).
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

gigneil

Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:51 pm

Thanks all.

dot dot dot

N

jhooper

Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:05 pm

It's amazing how many ways we can come up with saying exactly the same thing  Smile
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

XFSUgimpLB41X

Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:36 pm

They are reffering to the.. oh yeah.. it's already been said three times... haha.
Chicks dig winglets.

Sinlock

Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:09 pm

Airplay,
"If the pilot says he has "information Tango" but the latest ATIS message was "Sierra", ATC may want to update the pilot."

If I were one of the guys at the Tower and Sierra is current, and a pilot contacted me and said he had Tango, I would be sure to ask him/her about that nights Lottery numbers.

airplay

Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:41 am

Yes....thanks for pointing out my temporary dyslexia...

Smile

I'm singing the alphabet song for review purposes.