tu144d

Any Commerical Pilots With Degrees In Engineering?

Sun Mar 02, 2003 2:51 pm

Are there any people out there who decide to become commerical pilots after pursuing degrees in engineering. For instance, i will graduate next year with a B.S. in Aero/Astro and i quite honestly, although i love my major I am considering becoming a professional pilot. Is it too late for me?

HAL

RE: Any Commercial Pilots With Degrees In Engineering?

Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:29 pm

A good friend of mine is a Captain with America West, and has a degree in (I think) Mechanical Engineering from Stanford. He worked for a while in the automotive industry before starting a flying career. Unless you're past 60, it's never too late. The industry is certainly in a slump now, but that makes it a great time to get your ratings and build time for the inevitable hiring boom to come in the future.

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.

buckfifty

RE: Any Commerical Pilots With Degrees In Engineer

Mon Mar 03, 2003 1:00 am

There are many here who are flying with me now that have degrees in all kinds of engineering. You name it, we have it.

There are many who have asked the same question you did in a much tougher predicament, and still made a career out of it.

In effect, you're very well placed to be a pilot, as long as you have the heart for it. I wish you luck.

jhooper

RE: Any Commerical Pilots With Degrees In Engineering?

Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:53 am

No, it's definitely not too late for you.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

Racers22

Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:11 am

An instructor at the airport I used to work at graduated with a degree in civil engineering and worked for a firm for four years before deciding he didn't like it.

Toner

Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:55 am

An engineering degree is an asset.

I hold a BSNS.

modesto2

Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:56 pm

I'm currently a mechanical engineering student at UCLA with plans of pursuing a career as an airline pilot. I've never actually considered being an engineer. I'm just using the degree to gain background and attend college.

EssentialPowr

Tue Mar 04, 2003 1:46 pm

There are many furloughed pilots that have BS degrees in "Aviation Science" that are sacking groceries right now b/c they don't know what net present value means, let alone a Reynolds number. An engineering degree will prove to be a tremendous resource, as the credentials enable one to do anything from hard science engineering to operations, accounting, safety etc...