Woodreau
Topic Author

Instrument Approach Waypoints

Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:58 am

I noticed that the waypoints to a GPS approach into Pease spell out a well-known saying that Tweety Bird says when he sees Sylvester.

ITAWT (IAF) - ITAWA (IF) - PUDYE (FAF) - TTATT (MAP) - IDEED (holding fix)

http://www.vtsailor.net/images/kpsm.gif - for a graphic depiction.

I imagine the approach designer decided to be humorous that day.

I've wondered and looked for other approaches where the waypoints spell out a phrase - and haven't found any yet, but there's probably literally gazillion approaches out there that I haven't looked at yet.

Since there's more of you than more of me, have any of you all had run into an approach in which the waypoints spell out a phrase?

Woodreau

Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

RE: Instrument Approach Waypoints

Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:38 am

Other interesting names for intersections are Pickn and Grnin on the Hehaw 3 arrival into Nashville. There's a lot of really humorus ones out there, it evident that the FAA and ATC people have a pretty good sense of humor. A few years ago, when the FAA commissioned a couple of RNAV approaches at our airport, I was asked to submit a list of potiental intersection names for the approaches. As I remember, they had to be 5 letters and they wanted the names to reflect things identifyable with local points of interest. This isn't always done, for example going into Newton, Iowa there is a Matag intersection on the ILS Runway 32 approach. Newton is where Maytag appliances are built. Sure sounds like a "paid" advertisement to me.

goboeing

Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:09 am

There's also HAAMM and BURGR on an approach into Lebanon, NH (KLEB). Another I can think of is TWAIN of Hannibal, MI, the birthplace of Mark Twain. On J-230 over Pennsylvania, there's LARRI VINCE BYRDD going west. South of New York City there is APPLE and EMPYR, and southwest of Boston there is BOSOX. If I think of some more I'll post them. There's lots.

Nick

shaun3000

Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:01 am

Apparantly, one of the approaches into Kansas City has the following:
SPICY BARBQ RIBS (not sure of the spelling on any of those)

XFSUgimpLB41X

Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:15 am

DENNY intersection is someplace in South Carolina!  Laugh out loud

And in case you were wondering... HEVVN is south of Tallahassee. Never knew i was so close.
Chicks dig winglets.

Inbound

Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:55 am

here in trinidad, POS

we have CURRY and SHARK
Maintain own separation with terrain!

backfire

Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:20 am

There's also HAAMM and BURGR on an approach into Lebanon

I believe there's also a FRYYS on that approach too, is there not? Big grin

And for all you Sylvester fans:

Theiler

Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:06 am

Yep, that's the illustrious RNAV/GPS into 16 at Pease!

The ILS to 18 at LEB has "burger fixes". HAMMM-BURGR(OM)-FRYYS are three intersections on the approach "plate".  Smile

There's a a KEZUP int. on the GPS 25... Sadly, it's not the Missed Approach Fix for the ILS 18 approach.

Another interesting one is the ILS 27L into DTW.. DONYA-JUSTT-KNOIT-EMMIT

doug_or

Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:20 am

I was told sexxy if over the hefner estaet or the old hefner estate or something. going into PDx i belive there is a TRAIL and a BLZER
When in doubt, one B pump off

CX Flyboy

Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:13 am

Hong Kong has decided to use fruit and fish other food and the ocean for our waypoints. It sounded very strange at first, but now we are used to them: APPLE, MANGO, MELON, BAKER, ACORN, OCEAN, ATTOL, PERCH, LIMES, GRUPA, DOFIN, CONGA, GUAVA, CHERY, CORAL, ROBIN, HERON, ROACH, PORPA, BREAM, LAKES, SANDI, TUNNA, WAYEL!!

POSITIVE RATE

Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:01 am

Some examples of Australian waypoints: WENDY, SULLY, BLACK, DRINA, KLAVA, OJ, DANKS, NATCHA, KEPPA, ARBEY, FAGIN, KATKI, BRUKA, LONLY, QUARY. Some of them are actual descriptions of locations e.g DRINA is on Lake Alexandrina and QUARY is an actual Quary.

OPNLguy

Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:06 am

>>>Apparantly, one of the approaches into Kansas City has the following:
SPICY BARBQ RIBS (not sure of the spelling on any of those)

You're right--SPICY BARBQ RIBBS are on one of the ILS approaches to 19 at MCI; can't recall L or R.

Other interesting nuggets...

In the Las Vegas area, there's a SISKL, followed (naturally) by an EBERT. The CROWE intersection in the same general area is named after Frank T. Crowe, who was in charge of the Hoover damn construction back in the 1930s.

Off the east coast of Florida, there is a RESNK (I'm doing that one spelling from memory) which is named after one of the Challenger astronauts, Judith Resnick.

And, in the Memphis area, there's a navaid called ELVIS. Not a VOR; I think it's a NDB/LOM....
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.