UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Is Anything Salvageable Is This Aircraft?

Tue Apr 08, 2003 5:19 pm

There is a 727 at Annecy in an advanced state of decay :

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © William Ronciere

It looks like evrything is gone from the flight deck, but does anyone see something that could still be of use ? (as I plan to go back there during the night  Smile/happy/getting dizzy)

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere

Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

707CMF

RE: Is Anything Salvageable Is This Aircraft?

Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:51 pm

I'd take the yoke if I were (with) you.
Don't forget to notify me  Wink/being sarcastic

JETPILOT

Tue Apr 08, 2003 7:31 pm

Be of use ????

What do you want to "use" it for?

JET

DeltaMD11

Tue Apr 08, 2003 7:56 pm

I'd bring a screwdriver and yank that throttle quadrant Big grin Big grin Big grin
Too often we ... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:46 pm

I would go back in waves and remove as much as possible to make my room resemble the cabin (even to the point of removing the rear airstair access door and placing that where my current bedroom door is!  Smile

UTA: To answer your original question, everything's still usable!!!!

DeltaMD11

Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:16 am

I wonder if there is anything left of the Flight Engineers Panel?

Bryan
Too often we ... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

dinker225

Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:16 am

Did you just waltz into this plane or did you have to ask for special permission(whoever took the photo). If you were able to just waltz in I'm suprised that some people have not gone in and helped themselves to some of the items still inside.

Dinker
Two rules in aviation, don't hit anything and don't run out of gas, cause if you run out of gas yer gonna hit something.

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:39 pm

The Flight Engineer's panel is in the same state of decrepitude than the rest of the aircraft; I managed to take interior pics because a nice lady noticed I was shooting the aircraft and opened it up for me (the 727  Laugh out loud).
However, I noticed upon leaving that she forgot to lock the aft door  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
So on a moonless night at NCY, I will probably go souvenir-hunting (or end up in jail)
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

FredT

Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:37 pm

Think again. That is not the way to reward someone for being nice to you. Who do you think will catch the blame when they find that a thief used a door forgotten unlocked to help himself to what is still the airline's property? Don't you think they might find out who helped an aircraft photographer to get some good pictures?

If you think that runaway aircraft components are taken lightly, you are mistaken. There's a constant worry among serious operators that their discarded parts will reenter the market with forged documentation. That's an airworthiness issue.

You do not need those parts in your collection. The lady who helped you probably needs her job.

/Fred
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:17 pm

Relax ! I wasn't thinking of going after aircraft components, rather stuff that nobody will miss, like an oxygen mask that's hanging (lots of them), maybe a cushion.
Anyways, that aircraft is going nowhere soon, and I can assure you that NOTHING is being done to preserve it.
You will notice on this pic here that the front left cockpit window is gone :

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere

With the sub-zero temperatures we get in winter as well as the humidity, this means that any component that is still there is probably not in working order.
There's a difference between the "humor" I post and the reality  Laugh out loud
Cheers,
Will

dash8tech

Fri Apr 11, 2003 3:14 pm

Not legally on another passenger carrying aircraft I'd imagine!

Cheers!

DC-10Tech

Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:04 am

Check the hatch in front of the nose wheel well. Maybe the Radar RT is still there. It would make a nice paperweight.  Smile
Forums.AMTCentral.com

steady eddie

Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:24 pm

an engineer at a well known airline allegedly stole various cockpit components over the years until he had built up a sufficient stash to build an entire DC10 flightdeck in his toilet, so when he was sat on the bog he was in the captains seat, with yoke, overhead panel the works!

buckfifty

Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:55 pm

People have been known to make nice homes out of hulks like these...

A/c train

Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:39 am

Why not just leave it ?, let some guy with loads of cash and enthusiasm come a long and put it in a museum. It would save him some work if you LEFT original items there.
Also, FredT raised a very good point UTA !! acknowledge it.
regards a/c.

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:22 pm

CMF spotters are actually looking for money/subsidies/etc... in order to move it to CMF to serve as a meeting place for the CMF spotter association  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
So if anyone has large amount of money that he/she would like to giveaway, please send us a check  Laugh out loud

trnswrld

Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:49 pm

Humm, are either of the aircrafts rotating beacons still there?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy if so I want one as I have been trying to find a place that sells or parts out aircraft. I have always loved those true "rotating" beacons that the old 727's and DC9's have. I also thought it would be really cool to have a complete wingtip with full operating lighting. I was once at an airshow where TWA had there own display with a fully functional MD-80 wingtip. Had a switchpanel for anyone who wanted to turn on/off the strobes, nav lights, even had the landing light that folds up and down. Ever since I saw that I wanted something similar.
JT

dan2002

Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:17 am

Id take the lights (as above) Airstairs, (bring a torch) flaps , possabily an overhead bin , check if there is any flight manuals left in the cockpit the nose cone,and the center engine  Smile
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:15 am

Got another one uploaded today showing what (little) is left of the cabin :

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere

Turbolet

Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:47 am

Pity there's no seats. I've always wanted those Y rows of seats as armchairs for my sitting room!

KLAX

Sun May 04, 2003 6:02 am

William, I would like the flap handle please.  Smile pressing F5-F6 in FS2002 is just getting anoying. Nothing like the slide *click* of a flap handle locking into position  Big thumbs up

P.S. TLS is way better than CMF  Big grin

-Clovis