ANA777Master

Wind-actuated Wheel Rotater

Sat Apr 12, 2003 5:17 am

Have thought of this occasionally, and is a minute type of upgrade, but I think a wind (air current)-actuated device that causes forward spinning of the wheels, upon gear extention, could save the tires and reduce the momentary force of landing. This type of device can help conserve tires so they don't contact the tarmac when the tires are static/nonrotating(similar to doing a "burnout" in an automobile--which of course decreases tire life). If the tires are rotating at a speed equal to groundspeed (upon landing) there will be a negligible loss of rubber and the momentary deacceleration jolting force produced at landing will be reduced. Do any tekkies recall hearing this type of hypothesis before?

fritzi

RE: Wind-actuated Wheel Rotater

Sat Apr 12, 2003 5:51 am

This was discussed here not very long ago.

A system like this would increase the weight which results in a higher fuel burn. You would also have to spend money on maintaning this system.

In the long run, it would be cheaper just to make a "burnout" and replace the tires when they are worn out.

I suspect that a system like this would also increase the risk of FOD to the engines for T-tail aircraft.

fritzi

Sat Apr 12, 2003 5:54 am

ANA777Master

Sat Apr 12, 2003 6:04 am

Sorry for the redux! I'm confident that in the nsd future there will be a simple mechanism that will be incorporated in the lg to create wheelspin, in addition to an intelligent lg system that will dynamically buffer the vertical decelleration upon landing, regardless of the vertical rate of speed.