jmacias34

Need Suggestions For An Aviation Wristwatch

Sat Apr 12, 2003 2:00 pm

Looking for a dual time watch which can handle zulu and the 12/12 hour system. Don't want to spend more than $200. Prefer digital.

Would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Squigee

RE: Need Suggestions For An Aviation Wristwatch

Sat Apr 12, 2003 2:55 pm

Not sure about Zulu, but my watch does dual time, 12/24, stores phone numbers, stopwatch, various alarms, and it has a neat feature where it sets itself using the radio signal from the big Atomic Clock in the states. The dual Analogue/Digital dial is also quite nice.

Hard to find in Canada, though. Had to get this one through eBay:

http://www.casio.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products.detail&catalog=Watches§ion=Waveceptor&product=WVX100DA%2D7AV#
Someday, we'll look back at this, laugh nervously, and then change the subject.

XFSUgimpLB41X

Sat Apr 12, 2003 4:07 pm

Save yourself some money... Timex Ironman  Smile 35 bucks, best watch ive ever owned.
Chicks dig winglets.

OPNLguy

Sat Apr 12, 2003 6:28 pm

A few Christmas's ago, I got a Seiko "Sports 150". The face is analog (which I keep on local time) and I set the small window at the bottom to UTC in a 24 hour format. Has all the usual features, rotating bezel, alarm, day/date calendar, etc. but baro altimeter, GPS, or other exotic stuff. I think they're about $225 new, but check around.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

sllevin

Sat Apr 12, 2003 11:42 pm

Omega Speedmaster, "Moonwatch"

Okay, it doesn't do 12/24, it's not digital (in fact, you have to wind it yourself each day), but it's very cool. I love mine.

It's like the ultimate aviation/spacegeek watch.

Steve

Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:08 am

A classic, sold since about 1978 was the Seiko "Worldtimer" digital, sold then for some $100, had a square face, and world time zones with 3 letter code... These Seiko are no longer available, yet I saw one for sale not too long ago in a jewelry store in Rio de Janeiro... Probably was a "leftover"...
xxx
Was a nice one if somewhere you could find one new (a leftover) or old, even, they were extremely accurate... sadly they did not have the 30 minutes "add-on" for Newfoundland Time for Gander/CYQX...
xxx
Casio used to make a $40 worldtimer equivalent... some 15-20 years ago, the 3 letter city code was displayed next to the digital time shown...
xxx
I dont know if Breitling makes anything inexpensive timepieces, but I have seen equivalents that look like "pilot watches" with analog and digital display. for some $100 to $250 or so...
xxx
Look in pilot and aviation oriented magazines...
Good luck -
(s) Skipper

Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:45 pm

I've got an Omega Speedmaster - the worst watch I've ever owned. It's been in my dresser drawer for 10 years. The best "pilot's watch" that I've ever owned is a Citizen Navihawk. I've had mine for 3 or 4 years now and it keeps excellent time and has all of the wold time zones - easily accessable. It's kind of spendy, but if you check the sales you can find them as low as about $175 dollars.

sllevin

Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:57 pm

Jetguy --

If you don't want it, send it my way!  Smile

I've had my Moonwatch for about 5 years and never had any problems. I figure, if it was rugged enough to go to the Moon, it's rugged enough for my work  Smile

But it's definitely not inexpensive.

Steve

shaun3000

Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:52 pm

Hey, Jetguy:

I'll give you $10 for that Omega watch if you don't want it!  Smile

jmacias34

Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:57 pm

Thanks fellas for the suggestions.