NWA
Topic Author

AA Descent Procedures

Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:54 pm

I was wondering when an American Airline pilot turns off the autopilot when landing. I have read that NWA turns it off at 10,000ft if weather will allow it. You help is appreciated.
23 victor, turn right heading 210, maintain 3000 till established, cleared ILS runwy 24.

XFSUgimpLB41X

RE: AA Descent Procedures

Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:02 pm

Nah... they just turn off the engines from the top of cruise and coast in- quite unprofessional if you ask me.  Big grin
Chicks dig winglets.

Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:04 pm

Dear Bobby -
xxx
I do not know of a "set" procedure for "disconnecting the A/P" unless you were asking me "the minimum altitude for use of the A/P in cruise mode or in approach mode"... you venture to say 10,000 feet, you may be wrong and... right, it varies...
xxx
Actually, AA, or DL, or UA - doesn't matter the airline - could, depending on type of aircraft - disconnect when at the top of descent, or make a landing with the autopilot, using it at all times during the descent... it is up to the pilots to decide (most often) when they will disconnect the A/P...
xxx
Hope this helps you - Happy contrails  Smile
(s) Skipper

mirrodie

Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:15 pm

My question is that if the rule is not abided by, what are the consequences?

B747Skipper, email me?
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

shaun3000

Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:03 pm

Well, it involves a large stick and several dwarves

AAR90

Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:08 am

I was wondering when an American Airline pilot turns off the autopilot when landing.

Whenever you want (and the Captain permits).  Wink/being sarcastic There are specific limitations for specific airplanes making specific type approach/landing, but that varies with the aircraft type. i.e. 737 CATII/III HUD approaches require autopilot disconnect not later than 1000' AFL (HUD is a manually flown approach).

My question is that if the rule is not abided by, what are the consequences?

If an AA operating limitation is intentionally or unintentionally not complied with, consequenses can be anything up to and including termination of employment --yes, it has happened in the not so recent past. What the FAA does is up to them. If the pilot properly "self-reports" an unintentional deviation (and subsequent investigation confirms no intent) via the AASAP program neither AA nor FAA can "punish"--there will probably be additional "training" followed by extra "checking."  Wink/being sarcastic
*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!