bigphilnyc

Light Configurations (Aircraft Identification)

Thu May 01, 2003 2:57 am

I was wondering if someone around here had somethign I could maybe print out and refer to so I can learn what aircraft's light setups are so I can more easily identify aircraft at night.

Or, if you could just explain on here, that might be cool too.

Thanks much.

-Phil
Phil Derner Jr.

Illini_152

RE: Light Configurations (Aircraft Identification)

Thu May 01, 2003 3:40 am

Red is port or, left, Green is starboard, or right, and steady white is aft.

I remember it by thinking Red and Right would make sense, so you know the FAA wouldn't do that. But that's just me.

--
Mike

[Edited 2003-04-30 20:41:19]
Happy contrails - I support B747Skipper and Jetguy

avioniker

Thu May 01, 2003 5:02 am

Landing lights in the wingtips: DC-9/MD
Landing lights in the Flap Fairings and wing roots(armpits), taxi light on the nose strut: 737 Classic & Jurassic
Landing lights in the belly and wing roots, taxi light on the nose strut: 737 NG (and others)
Landing lights in the wing roots and on the nose strut: 747 (and others)
There's lots and lots more aircraft out there but it's time to go home and I've used up too much of the boss' time already...
One may educate the ignorance from the unknowing but stupid is forever. Boswell; ca: 1533

jetdoctor

Thu May 01, 2003 11:16 am

Mike, an easier way of remembering Red as right, is as if you are viewing the aircraft coming toward you. If you are behind the aircraft you will see a white tail nav, and the colored wing navs should not be visible. Maybe that explanation can be even more confusing!!!  Nuts.

Phil, for the EMB -145/40/35 aircraft, the nosewheel has 2 taxi lights and 1 landing light, there are also 1 wing-root landing light on each wing. Wingtips have the standard red/green lights, plus strobes that generally do not flash in synch with each other (another EMB spotting clue). There are fuselage mounted wing inspection lights (1 on each side) and the tail is a white tail nav with a strobe also, and last but not least is the logo light, which, depending on the airline, is illuminated. Oh, I almost forgot the red anti-collision beacons, 1 on top and 1 below between the mains.

Hope this helps you add to your list

Jetdoctor
Break ground, and head into the wind. Don't break wind and head into the ground.

Illini_152

Thu May 01, 2003 2:32 pm

Thanks for that one Jetdoctor, but I've got it pretty well memorized by now (I didn't even have to look that one up!), that was just what I used to use "back in the day" (all of 3 years ago  Wink/being sarcastic )

--
Mike O'Malley
Happy contrails - I support B747Skipper and Jetguy

RyDawg82

Thu May 01, 2003 9:10 pm

By far the best site for this subject:
http://www.geocities.com/bandimal/airports/kcle/lights.html

Hope this helps Phil.....Ryan in Alaska
You can take the pup out of Alaska, but you can't take the Alaska out of the pup.

bigphilnyc

Fri May 02, 2003 1:08 am

Thanks a lot Ryan! Shoot me an email.
Phil Derner Jr.

2912n

Fri May 02, 2003 10:48 am

The FAA did not come up with the light arrangement for nav lights (the red and greens...) that was adopted from ships and has been used for a couple hundred years.

MD-80 series has the landing lights out on the far ends of the wings.

Most Southwest a/c have the wig wag landing lights that I have not seen on other airliners..