flyf15

VFR Only Ratings

Fri May 09, 2003 3:31 am

Hey guys, I'm looking into doing a multi addon to my private pilot certificate. I currently hold private pilot, airplane single engine land and instrument airplane. I only want the multi addon so that I can log later multi instructional flights as PIC.

I was planning on doing it VFR Only just to make it simplier, quicker, and cheaper to get the rating. But, I've just been told this is no longer allowed with the new PTS. Is this true or not? Where can I go to get more information (in the FARs, AIM, PTS, ...)?

Thanks!

flyf15

RE: VFR Only Ratings

Fri May 09, 2003 3:48 am

Nevermind guys, just found proof of it. VFR Only ratings are no longer an option.

jhooper

Fri May 09, 2003 4:48 am

I believe you're correct, in that it is not allowed. But look carefully, because there might be a loophole somewhere. For example, if you can find an examiner who is not authorized to give instrument ratings in twins or if you can find a twin that is not instrument equipped (now that's a far cry!). I recommend you check out the FAQs on Part 61, which you can find on the FAA website.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

Jayce

Fri May 09, 2003 12:38 pm

Or, you could come to Canada and do it. I'm currently working on my multi, then after I'm finished, I'll be doing my Multi-IFR as a separate program.
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer Simpson