Where ´s The CG Of This Aircraft?

Fri May 16, 2003 4:35 am

Just take a look at these 2 aircraft (IL-38 and reg.IL-18)
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Alastair McBean
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Wolfgang Bergemann

Now the plane on the 1st pic looks quite ´unbalanced´and tailheavy to me,why did they move it´s center of gravity forward and what prevents it from sitting on it´s tail since it doesn´t seem to have a tailskid ? Does the radar equipment behind the nose gear need that extra counterweight due to it´s sheer mass ?

bio15

RE: Where ´s The CG Of This Aircraft?

Sat May 17, 2003 11:41 am

...why did they move it´s center of gravity forward and what prevents it from sitting on it´s tail since it doesn´t seem to have a tailskid...

If they don't move it forward, the aircraft will sit on its tail. The tailskid is not something that should be on aircraft to prevent them from sitting, but for tailstrikes during takeoffs. Aircraft should be properly loaded at all times to prevent inclination from happening, and it could happen to all aircraft that permit aft cargo (or pax) loading. I hope this helps a bit

-Alfredo

airplay

Sat May 17, 2003 1:04 pm

The CG of aircraft are always located in a small range around the centre of lift of the wing. These aircraft are no different. The four engines likely provide a fair amount of weight to counteract the long cabin and I would guess that there isn't much loaded in the back.

Fuel in the wing tends to have very little effect on CG.

L-188

Sat May 17, 2003 4:19 pm

They did move that wing quite a bit forward on that aircraft.

Probably the front end is quite a bit heavier due to the weight of that radome and it's associated electronics and power systems. The Soviets where great for still using vacume tubes and such. Those types of systems and the transformers needed to power them are not exactly light.

Also keep in mind that since it is a patrol plane with a much smaller number of people on board a smaller CG range is acceptable since there is going to be less variations in the number of passengers, configuration and ect.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Sun May 18, 2003 2:22 am

My guess is that the rearmost part of the main cabin isn´t used at all since it is too far away from the center of gravity.
Freight hauling and the stuff wasn´t really the purpose this derivative of the IL-18 was designed for anyway.

delta-flyer

Sun May 18, 2003 11:41 pm

I suspect the reason for the long, probably empty rear end is to get the tail antenna boom sufficiently far away from the radar electronics near the nose.

Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"