fspilot747

Quick Question For Any European Pilots (eyesight)

Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:57 am

This has been a topic before, but usually it was related to the FAA standards.

I have heard that in Europe, the standards for eyesight are far more strict than in the U.S. In the U.S., as long as your vision is correctable to 20/20, you're okay to fly for the airlines.

Is that the same for European carriers? I've read that Lufthansa only allows for something like 1.25 diopters off naturally, with no correction allowed that supercedes that. Is this correct?

What are the vision standards in Europe I guess is what I'm asking.

Thanks,
FSP

411A

RE: Quick Question For Any European Pilots (eyesight)

Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:04 pm

Have held several European licenses/validations over the years, and all required just about what the FAA has in the way of eyesight standards.

Airline companies however may be a different ballgame altogether. Some are very strict with new younger pilots.

ben

Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:31 pm

British Airways, for example, quotes that one of their requirements for entry to the sponsorship scheme is a 'BA Standard' medical... which is higher than a UK CAA Class 1. Ouch.

I've heard that pilots who are established in their career can get away with a lot with regards to the medical. It's mainly the Initial Class 1 where they err on the side of fascism.

flysab

Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:18 pm

Take a look at www.jaa.nl
Select "JARs" in left hand column, then JAR-FCL 3 and you will find all medical requirements for the JAA licences.

Yes it is more stringent than the FAA as you are allowed to use corrective lenses to reach the required eyesight, but this allowed correction is limited.

[Edited 2003-06-09 11:19:19]