mb339

Visual Approach While Performing An ILS

Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:39 am

Sometime I hear pilots who request a visual approach when they are already established on the ILS.

In the case there are no shortcut (the real reason of requesting visual app.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy) so I wonder what is meaning of such request.

Anyone can explain me better?

Thanks

ScooterTrash

RE: Visual Approach While Performing An ILS

Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:50 am

One reason is that if we can see the traffic in front of us on the approach, we can assume responsibility for maintaining separation if we are cleared for a visual approach. This way, the controller may not issue a speed restriction slowing us down (or may rescind one already issued) and we can shave a minute or two off our arrival time.

I do this most often on the last leg of a trip or if a hot crew meal is waiting at the station I am arriving at. The need to answer nature's call is another good reason to do everything you can to go fast!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

flyingbronco05

Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:03 am

You may also establish on the ILS if you are unfamiliar to the airport, then once you have the runway/airport in sight, you cancel the approach and fly visual. This happens a lot at PWK.

fb05
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

Yikes!

Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:54 am

Two good answers. In a busy terminal environment, it also allows the controllers to increase the volume of traffic landing on a given runway.

UTA_flyinghigh

Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:50 pm

"You may also establish on the ILS if you are unfamiliar to the airport, then once you have the runway/airport in sight, you cancel the approach and fly visual. "

That's exactly the procedure at CMF - pilots follow the ILS for runway 18 then switch to visual on short finals as the ILS is not really aligned with the runway due to positioning restrictions (mountains and lake nearby). So IFR aircraft fly the standard ILS RWY18 approach regardless of wind then either land runway 18 (duh!) or fly runway 36 visually. In that case, it is the F/O that is PF as he/she will be flying the a/c with the approach plate on yoke and executing an right-hand turn just before the city of Chambery.
These were shot in aircraft that had landed runway 36, you can clearly see the pattern followed on the approach plate :

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © William Ronciere
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © William Ronciere

Now I must say that it's more an IGS than an ILS that we have at CMF...it happened a couple of times that pilots were flying full-ILS approaches in Cat. III conditions...and broke through the clouds above the north parking lot (read : spotters' area) and executing a hasty go-around in the process  Laugh out loud
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards