Changed Plans!

Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:17 am

Well I am going to be a freshman at Embry-Riddle this fall. The major I originally chose was aeronautical science, but I have now switched it to Aerospace electronics. My main goal later in life is to fly commercially. After weighing in the the Pros and Cons I have decided to change my major. While IM in university I decided that I would join the Platoon leaders Class with the Marines that would give me my flight training after I graduate. This would guarantee a flight spot if I qualify for everything and as an officer in the Marines. The only con is that I would have to serve for about 7 years but that doesn't bother me. This would save me about 40k, and just in case I cant fly for any reason later in life I always have that aerospace electronics degree to work for Boeing or some mantanice for the airlines. What do you guys think? Does it sound like this plan would work? Thanks a lot for your replys!!!!!!!!

RE: Changed Plans!

Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:58 am

This topic has been discussed several times in the past. Bottom line is that your plans are spot on. Getting a degree in something other than "airplane flying" and letting someone else pay for the training. That is a good plan! The only possible recommendation I could make is to consider your branch of the service. You might have an easier time with your future plans if you position yourself so that you could fly large transports rather than fighters. You'll definitely accumulate more time as a transport pilot.