TWA902fly
Topic Author

Colleges For Aviation Management/Administration

Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:07 am

So I am looking at Colleges to major in Aviation Management or Aviation Administration... and these are the ones i have found which seem to have a good program

University of North Dakota
Ohio University (Aviation Department)
Embry Riddle
Southern Illinois University
Western Michigan University (College of Aviation)

the one i find the most appealing so far is with Western Michigan or Embry Riddle. Western Michigan seems to have a good program seeing as how they have a seperate college of Aviation.. anyone who has any knowledge help me out please? thanks in advance

TWA902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

learpilot

RE: Colleges For Aviation Management/Administration

Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:58 am

Try Parks College of St. Louis University. They have an Av. Mgmt. program, too. Probably cheaper than ERAU, but more expensive than WMU. http://www.slu.edu

And why on earth are you "the guy who doesn't want to live in Chicago"? I live in Birmingham, Alabama. I'd kill to have a job in Chi-town and get out of this $hithole. Even if it is the home of the Cubs!  Smile
Heed our warnings or your future will be underpant free!

doug_or

Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:16 am

Also check out Purdue University
When in doubt, one B pump off

JetboyTWA

Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:25 pm

I will be starting at Embry-Riddle next month, majoring in Aviation Business Administration at the Daytona Beach campus.

I'd like to start my own airline someday, and I think Embry-Riddle was the best choice for me.

I also looked at Auburn University in Alabama. They have a professional-flight-management program.

However, I didn't think it was worth paying around $22k a year for out-of-state tuition.

-Ryan

miller22

RE: Colleges For Aviation Management/Administratio

Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:07 pm

Purdue has an excellent admin program! I took a class with a couple of admin grads, and they all had to miss some classes for interviews. Of the three, one went to SWA, the other USAirways and the third had to fly to London to interview with BA. Also Purdue offers the #5 ranked (according to USNews & World Report) graduate school of management if you decide to continue.

flightsimfreak

Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:12 pm

I just finished with my registration at UND and Grand Forks is beautiful... The campus has a great feel to it... Talking to the students there, I have heard no gripes about the college. IMHO, UND would be your best choice.

ducky8855

Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:25 am

I am currently enrolled in Embry-Riddle distance learning program which let's me via the internet earn my bachelor degree. I currently reside in Cleveland, Ohio, and work for Flight Options LLC (fractional owner company). Having this opportunity to graduate from ERAU is just awesome, the tuition is very affordable and let's me go at my pace, so in some classes I can zoom through the course in just a matter of weeks, or if I need more time with a course I can take more time, and am constantly talking with fellow students on a 24 hour basis, and we all work together and help each other. During the daytime you have direct access to the professor and if you need to contact them via a personal website and they check on a regular basis and respond to question promptly. Thank goodness for the internet.

SSTjumbo

Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:51 am

I'm suprised no one ever mentiones Lewis University in Romeoville, IL. It's a small school that recently won the NCAA div. III Men's Volleyball championship. Back to the topic, they offer a four year degree in Aviation Administration, and the school is just as good as any aviation school out there without blowing twenty grand a year.
I don't know, so this is my signature.

DFORD757

Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:56 am

I am currently a commercial aviation major at UND and will start the avit. Management program in the spring. I really like UND...campus is really nice and you can usually find some stuff to do while school is going. It gets kinda cold in the winter....but the last couple of winters havn't been that bad. If you have any questions about UND...feel free to e-mail me!

DFORD757

Bruce

Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:38 pm

To Learpilot - I also live in AL, just 100 mi north of you. I also want out of here!

Back to the topic, once you get the degree what are some kinds of jobs that you'd get as an entry level with that type of degree?

bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

avioniker

Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:53 pm

Let's not forget Daniel Webster in Burlington Vermont. They have an excellent curriculum in Aviation and Airport Management.
There's also Central Missouri State University in Warrensburg MO and Eastern New Mexico State University, Roswell (no jokes) and Arizona State in Tempe and Glendale.
All excellent schools and much more reasonable than ERAU. Then again there's the surfing in Daytona and outdoors in Prescott.
One may educate the ignorance from the unknowing but stupid is forever. Boswell; ca: 1533

wilcharl

RE: Colleges For Aviation Management/Administratio

Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:42 pm

I feel as though I am where I am today because of Embry Riddle... Nuff said :-P

JBirdAV8r

Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:35 pm

I feel as though I am where I am today because of Embry Riddle... Nuff said :-P

That's not to say you couldn't have been where you are today without ERAU, there's plenty of alternatives...

ERAU is, of course, the school everyone thinks of when they think "aviation", but it's not an ERAU degree that's going to make or break your career as a pilot. I promise that.

I have to chime in my typical twice-a-week plug for Jacksonville University. We're partnered with the Delta Connection Academy (owned, you guessed it, by Delta), we offer Aviation Management and Flight Operations (as well as an MBA with a concentration in Aviation), and we turn out pretty darn good pilots  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

I refuse to get in a JU-ERAU mudslinging contest but here at JU we have a 100% safety record  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

DC10Tony

Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:02 am

One of my friends attends Florida Institute of Technology in Melbourne, FL. I know I've heard him mention that they have an Aviation Management program there.

www.fit.edu

goboeing

Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:25 am

Avioniker,
I'm a student at Daniel Webster College. BUT, it's in Nashua, New Hampshire, not Vermont. It's quite small, but I think it has an excellent program for flight training, ATC, and aviation management. In fact, the airport manager of ASH, which is adjacent to the campus, is a DWC graduate.

Nick

ramper@iah

Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:45 am

Louisiana Tech University has an Aviation Management degree option also. It's worth looking in to.

TWAMD-80

Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:19 pm

TWA902Fly, I will have to put in a recomendation for Southern Illinois University at Carbondale. They have a well structured management program. Although I'm not in management yet, I am in the flight program there. I have friends at SIU that have gone through the management program and they have nothing but good to say about it. Also I know quite a few people out in the industry that have put their management degrees from SIU to good use. If you'd like more info just let me know! Good luck in your search!

TW
Two A-4's, left ten o'clock level continue left turn!

avioniker

Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:08 pm

Goboeing
My apologies, head up and locked yesterday morning.
I have family that went to DW and I've personally found the grads to be extremely knowledgeable in their major fields.
There's many schools out there with Aviation subjects and they are all exactly as good as the students let them be. It's all a matter of application and contact with reality.
ERAU has been around for a long time and they are getting a lot of competition.
I haven't seen a lot of difference in one grad over another in the last fifteen or so years so pick your school based on career goals, subject matter offered and if you have the luxury look into the qualifications of the faculty members doing the teaching.
One thing I've noticed in the last ten years is that the teachers in the Junior Colleges and Community Colleges seem to have more practical or hands on experience in their subject areas (in fact a sizeable number of them are working in the fields they're teaching) than the professors in the four year institutions. I'm not talking about the ERAU resident centers and I'm making a broad generalization here but it's what I've seen when visiting campuses and interviewing grads.
One may educate the ignorance from the unknowing but stupid is forever. Boswell; ca: 1533

IMissPiedmont

Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:31 pm

My degree is from ERAU and I truly loved Daytona, to a point. But I'll let ya'll in on a non secret. It does not matter a bit which college or university the degree is from. A degree in avaition management looks really cool on the wall but is not so great as it seems. Some companies in fact will not talk to you because they think it is "too specialized" for their needs. I've been there and spent a few years drilling water wells at $30,000 per year until I found a company that did not see my degree as a glorified certificate. I have no regrets though. I set a goal and achieved it.

The point I'm attempting to make is this. You might just be better off with an MBA from a less expensive school in the long run.

Whichever choice you make, do the best you can and then surpass it. Good luck.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

avioniker

Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:45 pm

Well put IMissPiedmont. Very well put

L-188

Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:53 pm

IMissPiedmont hit the nail on the head.

I left UND after two years because I got tired of fighting for flight slots, Musical instructors (this was 97) and paying for repeat lessons every time one of those new instructors came up on line.

Frankly going up to UAA was probably one of the best things I ever did, half the tution and a more generalized degree that will be worth more in the real world.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.