bacardi182

Using My Headset For Music?

Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:30 am

What type of connector would I need to turn my headset into headphones that I could use when being a passenger? Would it be bad for my headset? I have the flightcom denali anr. I am thinking with the ANR I would have optimum sound quality like the bose headsets they give out in first class.

BTW- they are graphite blue not bright yellow so I wouldn't look like an idiot.

cancidas

RE: Using My Headset For Music?

Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:47 am

to use it with what, a cd player? you need an adapter for the larger plug to fit in the smal port in the cd palyer. don't use the anr, it's there to cancel out background sound so it sometimes cuts out subtle tunes. i use mine as headphones for my stereo when i'm tired of listening to everything arround me. i have david clarks, and they work great to isolate me!  Big thumbs up

mc
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

Ralgha

Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:35 am

If it's a good ANR circuit, it won't cut out anything being received by the headset. I don't know how good the Denali circuits are, but they get good reviews as far normal use goes.

The new Lightspeed 3G headsets have a socket for aux input such as a CD player. I might have to get me one.

Big thumbs up
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:13 am

In the Lear I used to fly we had a "pigtail" wired into the intercom system that allowed us to plug in a Sony Walkman. It worked great with the David Clark DNC headsets that we were using - stereo and all. The nice thing about if was that the music was cut out any time there was any conversation on the frequency or between crewmembers, which isn't really all that often when you're flying at FL410 and above. The setup worked well and I feel that it enhanced rather than detracted from flight safety - we NEVER used the system except when we were at high altitude cruise. (It was nice to be able to play a little "up tempo" music when we had those ocassional late night coast to coast flights - it made it much easier to stay alert.) The walkman was always put away prior to top of descent. A little background music made the time in the Lear that much more enjoyable. The aircraft that I fly now aren't really capable of having a similar system - they use audio panels with hot mics. It's too bad, now it's just the passengers that get to listen to CDs.

Jetguy

Dalmd88

Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:00 am

If you want to plug into the aircraft IFE system you need a two prong adapter. You can get them at Radio Shack.

SSTjumbo

Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:32 pm

Aircraft IFE system??? I must be stupid, what is that?
I don't know, so this is my signature.

avioniker

Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:43 pm

In Flight Entertainment.
The plug adapter will depend on what airline you're riding.
Generally speaking the input impedance of communication headsets is not the same as most commercial InFlight Entertainment systems. They're set up to accentuate voice or Morse tones over other sounds. The music quality won't be as good as with a pair of $2.00 earbuds. (Unless, of course, you spend the bucks for the good DC's or Bose.)
My question is: Other than wanting everyone to know you own a set of genuine pilot earmuffs, why would you want to wear those things on a commercial flight?
One may educate the ignorance from the unknowing but stupid is forever. Boswell; ca: 1533

SSTjumbo

Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:08 am

Also, if you want to use a CD player in a cockpit, here's a little secret. You can buy a device from Best Buy called a Soundfeeder if they still produce it, and all you have to do is tune the NAV radio to 108.00 and set the soundfeeder appropriately and abracadam, you have music. The downsides? No stereo music and no NAV radio.
I don't know, so this is my signature.

avioniker

Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:54 pm

The other downside is that the Nav and Comm radios are all AM and the Soundfeeder (Radio Shack used to carry them too) is an FM device so unless the radios are very accurate in their frequency control the sound may be a bit clipped.
One may educate the ignorance from the unknowing but stupid is forever. Boswell; ca: 1533