goboeing

"Rabbit" Runway Lights

Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:14 pm

Does anyone know how the term "rabbit" came into use for the runway lights before the treshold?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Frank Lukas
View Large View Medium

Photo © Dan Gradwohl

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bailey

Nick

JBirdAV8r

RE: "Rabbit" Runway Lights

Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:55 pm

"Rabbit" refers to high-intensity pulsing lights--bluish-white lights that aren't really visible in those pictures since they blink on and off so fast, but they lead up to the runway in a straight line. They are strobe lights that flash in a sequence so that, viewed from the air, it looks like a single white ball of light is moving toward the runway about once per second, hence the term "rabbit".

Side note...In certain conditions they can be distracting, so you might every once in awhile hear the term "kill the rabbit", asking the tower to turn off those lights--more commonly used way back when than now  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

OPNLguy

Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:38 pm

Someone once told me that it was because they somehow resembled that gizmo that are (or were once) used in greyhound racing, i.e. where some type of mechanical rabbit-looking gizmo runs along a rail on the lefthand side of the racetrack, giving the dogs something to concentrate on and chase after.

Don't know if it;s true or not, but it sounds semi-plausible....
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

shaun3000

Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:25 pm

kill da wabbit,
Kill Da Wabbit,
KILL DA WABBIT!

*ahem*

Sorry

JBirdAV8r

Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:25 am

Shaun (a.k.a. Elmer):

LOL!! That's exactly what I was thinking about when I posted that....LMAO... Big thumbs up
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

JohnJ

Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:03 am

I noticed something very interesting at JFK yesterday when I was down there. If you drive into the cargo areas at the west end of the airport, the approach lights for the Runway 13L approach are right by the road. The 13L approach is a difficult, curving affair (I think they call this the "Canarsie" approach), with a large bank to the right close to the runway threshold. The "rabbit" lights for this runway appeared to have an odd configuration. The strobes on the light standards closest to the runway were aimed straight ahead, but further out from the end of the runway, it was apparent that the strobes were aimed significantly off to the right, even though the approach lights themselves kept their straight-on angle - I guess so the strobes stay in focus as the planes make their banked approach. That must look really cool from the cockpit.

goboeing

Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:27 am

Those are LDIN (lead-in) lights. The chart legend says they're usually 3000' to 5000' feet in length. I have a question, what color are they? I'm guessing white.

Nick

JohnJ

Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:33 am

Yes, they were white.

2912n

Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:49 am

"resembled that gizmo that are (or were once) used in greyhound racing, i.e. where some type of mechanical rabbit-looking gizmo runs along a rail on the lefthand side of the racetrack, giving the dogs something to concentrate on and chase after."

Hmmmm, what does that say about pilots????  Smile

chief

Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:34 am

2912n,

Monkeys and dogs were trained to fly spacecraft.......................