VS340
Topic Author

Nitrogen In Aircraft Tires

Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:48 pm

can anyone tell me why aircraft tires are filled with Nitrogen rather than just regular air?

AJ

RE: Nitrogen In Aircraft Tires

Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:58 pm

Nitrogen is an inert gas, so high temperatures and pressure changes have less effect, regular air contains elements that react with heat, pressure changes and oxygen and can become explosively expansive....not good in an aircraft tyre.

erj-145mech

Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:27 pm

Also the nitrogen is more compatable with the rubber compound, and the nitrogen atoms are larger, so the deflation rate is longer.

v jet

Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:39 pm

I have it in my car tyres. Driving now feels like a take off roll  Laugh out loud

challengerdan

Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:58 pm

Aircraft tires are filled with nitrogen because it's a inert gas and therefore doesn't corrode the wheel as opposed to regular compressed air wich contains oxygen, highly corrosive.
if your flight goes MX in YUL, I might be called to fix it!

ha763

Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:41 pm

Here's an article from Boeing's Aero magazine that deals with tire/wheel servicing. It starts with a section that deals with tire/wheel explosions.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/aero_05/m/m03/index.html

OPNLguy

Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:08 pm

Here's an example of what can happen...

http://aviation-safety.net/database/1986/860331-1.htm

It should also be noted that a wheel fire is -really- something that you don't want on an aircraft, given that the wheel rims have magnesium in them. To get an idea what this stuff is like when it burns, think underwater flare.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

LSTC

Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:17 pm

Nitrogen is not formally an "inert" gas. It is however generally considered as such as it does not readily react with much whereas oxygen contained in normal air reacts violently with a great many compounds.

Keep in mind that nitrogen is one of the basic ingredients in many popular explosives. So with the proper mix, it breaks out of its "inert" reputation and reacts quite "explosively".

The main reason for use in aircraft tires as noted in a few instances above is that nitrogen does not react readily with the rubber compounds or metals used in tires and will not support combustion in case of a tire fire.

Nitrogen is also used as a pre-charge for various hydraulic systems in aircraft including the main acumulator and propellors.

Many maintenance procedures include instructions to inject dry nitrogen in various plumbing systems (pitot/static etc) to clean them.

Oxygen in any somewhat pure state on the other hand is very much feared in aircraft maintenance unless you are actually filling the oxygen tanks.

If you expose any type of oil or grease to pure oxygen, it will spontaneously combust (burst into flames) because the reaction with the oxygen is so violent it releases great amounts of heat.

So when oxygen is in use or if you're filling oxygen tanks, don't hang around with your oily coveralls.

covert

Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:20 am

What will happen if I put it in my automobile or motorcycle tyres?
none

Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:42 am

About the only thing that will happen if you put nitrogen in automobile/motorcycle tires is your wallet will get lighter. Big grin

aloges

Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:58 am

"Keep in mind that nitrogen is one of the basic ingredients in many popular explosives. So with the proper mix, it breaks out of its "inert" reputation and reacts quite "explosively"."

You're correct, in a certain way. It's not the "mix" that makes the difference, but whether you have nitrogen molecules (N2) or atoms (N). The two atoms in each molecule are firmly "tied" by three pairs of electrons, which is the reason why synthesising ammonia earnt Haber and Bosch a Nobel Prize. Nitrogen atoms, which indeed are an important part of many structures of molecules of explosives, act differently.

It's somewhat comparable to the difference between molecular oxygen and oxygen "in statu nascendi".
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Jetmek319

Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:43 am

Yet another reason is that Nitrogen has much less humidity content than "air".
Never, ever moon a werewolf !!

chief

Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:38 am

Compressed air, even in the most low humidity enviroments, contain moisture, (water). This is indeed corrosive, but can also collect in a low spot and then freeze, thus causing an out of balance situation.

LSTC

Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:44 am

Nitrogen gas can certainly be mixed with water molecules just like common "air". So nitrogen isn't dryer than air. But..."dry nitrogen" is what you get out of the tanks. No different than getting dry air if so desired.

L-188

Mon Oct 06, 2003 5:22 pm

Does anybody remember the story (Or urban legend) about the two UA mechanics that had to do some work inside a DC-10 wing?

apparently they thought they would be real smart and power their air tools off the nitrogen bottle. Figured less fire hazard since they wheren't introducing air into the tank.

They ended up asphyxiating themselves inside the tank.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

CPH-R

Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:53 pm

asphyxiating

And just what the heck does that mean?  Laugh out loud

It sounds like a word or action that belongs in the scurvy depths of the Non-av forum Big grin

EDIT: asphyxiating = like drowning, but without the water

[Edited 2003-10-06 14:54:36]

BR715-A1-30

Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:27 am

I need to put some of that in my tires. Sounds like a smoother driving experience.
Puhdiddle