Preserving Concorde

Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:22 am

Does anyone know what technical steps will be needed to preserve Concorde? Will the engines be pulled or just drained of fluids? Will a pretty shell be on display or will the equipment (pumps, APU's etc..) remain onboard and just made safe? The question really is applicable to all preserved aircraft, but given all of the Concordes recently donated, I'd appreciate any info.

A/c train

RE: Preserving Concorde

Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:31 am

I would think that any spares/rotables that could be re used on other a/c, (which I doubt), will be removed and put into stores and the aircraft will remain hopefully preserved and kept inside a good atmosphere protecting the a/c from corrosion attack.
Im not sure about the engines, i presume they still have life on them but I dont know if they could be re used on other a/c. Some museums change the engines with lifed engines and some take them out and leave them out. Its what the operator and the museum decide as too what happens to the aircraft.
I hope they will keep one in an airworthy state and keep one flying !! (not likely), but atleast keep one in a ground taxiable state, this is just like the Vulcan all over again.

Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:42 am

Concorde does not have an APU. I would think that all fluids would be drained & that everything will remain in place, well...I hope so  Sad.

A340 LoVeR! EC-GQK - LHR The Bussiest International Airport & 3rd Bussiest In The World!

Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:52 am

Certain lifed items will be removed, for example slides will be blown, anything even mildly radioactive will go, as will solenoids, oxygen tanks and related items.
Intrepid wanted every last drop of fuel drained (yeah right, we never managed that!), as well as really making a big fuss, well they did before BA reminded them that other museums are in the running.
The new bev makers will go, old ones fitted, as new ones can be used on other aircraft, but most stuff is Concorde specific, including the engines.