Posts: 5560
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2001 8:27 pm

ERJ 135 Question

Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:23 am

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Phil Jones

Yesterday, I flew for the first time on an ERJ. My question is: what are those four little triangle things on the bottom of the leading edge of the wing (near the tips)?
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.
Posts: 7798
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:52 am

RE: ERJ 135 Question

Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:29 am

Lets see if I spell this right..... 'Vorterlons'. They help direct the airflow over the wing...and if I remember correctly from ERJ FAM School they also aid the performance of the aileron
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"
Posts: 1384
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2000 7:41 am

RE: ERJ 135 Question

Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:04 am

Funny you should ask. From my understanding of previous threads, they do what EMBQA said...they're acting in lieu of leading-edge slats.

How they work...not exactly sure?
I mean, for the right price I’ll fight a lion. - Mike Tyson
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2001 2:16 pm

RE: ERJ 135 Question

Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:38 am

Vortalons, as mentioned above, create a disturbance in the airflow over the aileron to improve the aircraft's handling characteristics while at lower speeds.

They also serve as daggers to the unsuspecting person walking around and under the outboard leading edge. They are painted bright yellow, but I have seen it happen.

Break ground, and head into the wind. Don't break wind and head into the ground.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 144modeller, aircanadaa330 and 16 guests