nudelhirsch

Internet On Board...

Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:47 am

Ok, after a thread without any success...

LH is equipping it's long-haul jets with the system by Boeing Connexion.
This will start in early 2004.

Is there any airline planning to introduce the ssame system?

greets...
Putana da Seatbeltz!

MITaero

RE: Internet On Board...

Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:48 am

I think BA and LH had demonstrations from Boeing at around the same time. I thought BA was going to go for it as well. I just read on another thread that Singapore was also.

mlsrar

RE: Internet On Board...

Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:33 am

Horray, a tech-topic I have expertise and prowess in!

I also understand that NW has the ability to do the same. After doing some research on the Matushita entertainment system, it appears that there is a spare, shielded conduit that is included in those seats in WBC, and the forward coach cabin that is adjacent to the 110v wiring. (Standard USA Outlets)

There was also a development effort to try and deliver a significant amount of power over Ethernet. When I say significant, I mean significant enough to either drive a DC converter, or drive a full 110v. In-line Ethernet power has been around for years, and is what drives most IP phones. (Unless you opt not to do in-line power, all IP phones will need a power supply).

So, rather than have a ridiculous amount of weight (ever picked up a 500lb spool of cat-5/5e?), I believe a number of carriers interested in the option are using Wireless.

I also believe SQ is going to look into a delivery method from Boeing.

Beware the latency!

I mean, for the right price I’ll fight a lion. - Mike Tyson