jasonwinn

Transporting/Transferring Aircraft..

Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:51 pm

Hey everyone,
I have a question for everyone. How do companys (ie. cessna) transfer purchased aircraft to the new owner over sea's or to area's hard to reach. For instance, a Cessna 172 to Hawaii. Or an older business jet or turbo prop, to say hawaii or across sea's. To they put them on larger enough planes, or ship them via boat, or make several short trips. Like a king air needs to get to australia (someone in Australia bought it from a manufacture in USA, for instance) from North Datoka, USA, is it going to go down via South America or just put it on a boat?

I hope this isnt too much of a newbie question lol.
Thanks everyone,
Jason Winn

L-188

RE: Transporting/Transferring Aircraft..

Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:57 pm

We get a lot of ferry flights through Anchorage.

The North Atlantic also allows a few places to stop, Iceland, Newfoundland, Labador, Ireland, Scotland, so the distances aren't as long as they seem.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

desertjets

Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:06 pm

I used to read Private Pilot magazine and one of the columnists, I forget his name, does a lot of work ferrying aircraft very long distances.

Typically they load the plane up with ferry tanks and ferry fuel with all the appropriate approvals to fly overgross and everything. This requires a lot of planning and paperwork to do it right, legally, and safely. In one of his columns he talked about flying a Piper Navajo Cheiftan from Hawaii back to the mainland. His route was ITO-SBA... shortest distance across I believe. About 2-3 hours in he turned back b/c the headwinds were higher than forecast. Flew back to the mainland on a commercial flight and wasn't able to try again until a month or so later.

Smaller planes can be partially disassembled and shipped in a standard freight container... a little Cessna isn't all the big with its wings clipped anyways.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

liamksa

Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:14 pm

G'day

We recently got a couple of new 172's and they shipped them over by boat. The wings were detached and put in crates and the rest of the aircraft (totally assembled) was put into another crate. Then onto a truck once it arrived at the docks and assembled at the airport.

Another way is to fly to where it has to go with ferry tanks in the cabin. eg:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © AirNikon
View Large View Medium

Photo © AirNikon

I think the GA-8 Airvans delivered to US Civil Air Patrol used this method also (at least some of the way!  Smile)

Rob.

L-188

Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:22 pm

DesertJets.

I think the name you are looking for is Bill Cox.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:41 am

When I lived in California, I remember that there was a company "Southern Cross" specializing in the ferrying of small airplanes for delivery overseas. They may still be in business today.
xxx
I knew one of their pilots, all I can remember, is name was "Toby"... and his nickname was "Sharkbait"... due to the fact that he had to ditch once on his way to Hawaii of a single engine aircraft, some 300 miles from Hawaii.
xxx
He also told me that he did prefer to ferry single engine airplanes, rather than a typical small twin, due to the fact that the twin (overloaded) could not continue to fly if one of the engines failed... and with 2 engines, there is a double possibility of getting an engine failure, compared to a single engine plane...
xxx
Strange philosophy, but correct, if you think about it.
USA West Coast to Hawaii... 2,300 nautical miles, and the water is... deep.
xxx
Happy contrails  Smile
(s) Skipper

CO2BGR

Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:08 am

Here in Bangor we also get a lot of business from planes going to europe and coming back. Telford in BGR manufactures aux tanks. Many planes fly via KEF or go to Ireland then to their destination.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael L. Sarna

This plane was photoghaphed in BGR going to europe as an example of what comes through BGR.
There are too many self indulgent weiners in this town with too much bloody money" Randal Raines- Gone in 60 Seconds