pilotpip

?for The Frieght Drivers And FAR135ers

Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:17 pm

Hey all, I'm just about finished up with college and all but certain that I DON'T want to fly for a major airline. I'm thinking that the 135 route is more to my liking when I have enought time built up. I would like to hear from some of the people out here that are, or have flown part 135 ops. Particularly the ones flying cargo in Falcons and Lears. While I'm at it, I'd like to hear about anybody flying for the fractionals. What are your experiences? Did you enjoy it? Would you do it again if you had to?

I know that most companies like Ameristar and USAJet fly the poo out of their crews. But as a result, they build a bunch of time fast. I also know that it's feast or famine. But the idea of going different places, and maybe flying some rich guy around in a modern business jet just apeals to me much more at this point.

Thanks
DMI

Air1727

Topic:?for The Frieght Drivers And FAR135ers

Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:55 am

Active Aero is a good gig Pilotpip; and yes they will fly the poo out of you. I would also look into the minor auto parts contracts like Air Tahoma which fly Convair 580s and 240s. Not sure about your logged hours, but you could make your way in there. Shame Zantop is not flying anymore except for the Traffic Management contracts; you could get on as a flight engineer fast and work your way in.

As for fractionals; not sure. There are plenty of 135 charter companies though that hire guys for Navajo, Merlin, King Air, etc work; so just look around; you will fall into something.
In the Alaska bush I'd rather have a two hour bladder and three hours of gas than vice versa.

KYIPpilot

RE:?for The Frieght Drivers And FAR135ers

Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:24 am

Yes, USA Jet is a good company to work for. If you ever wanted to move up from the Falcons, USA Jet also flys DC-9 freighters.
"It starts when you're always afraid; You step out of line, the man come and take you away" -Buffalo Springfield

pilotpip

Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:51 pm

I have quite a bit of exposure to USA Jet, Ameristar, Cherry Air, TMC, IFL, and a few others. They frequently visit my FBO with Lears and Falcons full of car parts. When things get really busy at the model year change over we get the DC-9s from both carriers(Ameristar purchased Allegient's) and the unique 737-200 freighters that Ameristar has as well. The only time I've ever seen Air Tahoma they flew in a Convair 240. What a gashog! I had never seen one before and I was giving the crew all kinds of trouble about the oil puddles. You know what they say, if a radial isn't leaking oil, there's something wrong with it  Smile

Thanks for the info guys. Keep it coming.
DMI

Air1727

Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:14 pm

You could look into Contract Air Cargo as well. Start out on the CV58s and work your way up to the 727-100.
In the Alaska bush I'd rather have a two hour bladder and three hours of gas than vice versa.

pilotpip

Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:56 pm

I forgot to mention that Air. IFL is who we bill when CAC's convairs and 727s come in. We see the 5800s pretty often. Neat aircraft, as long as they are singlepoint refueling.  Smile
DMI

Air1727

Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:39 am

Yeah the 5800s are quite a cool sight. Independant Flight Leasing; man they have been around for a while. Academy Airlines used to fly the Carvair into Lambert in the early 90s under IFL contract. Now *that* took the cake in auto part charters.