707guy
Topic Author

Pilots - De-ice Training?

Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:18 am

I was wondering if any airlines run their pilots through any type of de-icing training. Not the "how to do it" type of training, but possibly a familiarization type of training. I'm not trying to be negative but most of the pilots that I de-ice don't seem to really understand the process. I'm just interested in finding out what your training on it consists of.

Thanks!

jjbiv

RE: Pilots - De-ice Training?

Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:40 am

What training do you go through to become de-ice certified? Our company just has a simple multiple-choice test that you take after viewing a PowerPoint presentation and a quick hands-on session with the truck we use. Personally, I think we would get better results and use less fluid with better training.

joe

beechcraft

Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:24 am

As far as i´m concerned, it a learning by doing thing.
You´ve got your manuals. You know the theory, but the "training" would be the first time you´re actually de-iced.

at least thats how it was for me...

regards, Denis
That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!

707guy
Topic Author

Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:40 am

Well I know guys - that was how my training was. Most of it is OJT - just like most other things on the ramp. My question is more directed at the pilots out there - havn't you guys ever talked to the pilots and wondered if they had ever heard of de-icing? I'm joking but some of the questions and things they say make you wonder....

AAR90

Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:17 pm

My question is more directed at the pilots out there - havn't you guys ever talked to the pilots and wondered if they had ever heard of de-icing? I'm joking but some of the questions and things they say make you wonder....

Sure, seems like most trips I'm looking at the guy in the right seat wondering what airplane he thinks he's sitting in.  Yeah sure Seriously though, IMHO there are far too many pilots that just don't spend the time to read what the company publishes. OTOH, the majority of my deicing questions arise because the certified de-icer is not using standard phrasology --i.e. what did he "really" mean?  Confused
*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

jjbiv

Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:23 pm

Our pilots seem to know more about de-icing than we do. I've seen some of the winter ops training materials they get and ours look like middle school homework by comparison. No surprise that Flight Ops is the best run department in the company. Whether they read and learn what is provided is another story, however, our crews are great to work with and knowledgeable.

joe

FLY 8

Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:16 pm

We get every year a refresh course in aircarft icing. And furthermore I review everything about aircarft de icing in autum.
yes i can handle that alone. - - -famous last words

DLMHT

Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:30 am

I've dealt with a pilot before, that upon asking him which kind of deicing he wantd (Type I or IV), he asked me which is better.

I told him that Type I is a 50% mix and Typs IV is a 100% mix, so he said he wanted just Type IV. When I explained that I'd also need to do Type I first, he said "no, I'm in a hurry, just do Type IV since ts better".

I left just shaking my head and we did just Type I (it was 25 degrees and a clear sky).

While pilots have the final say in the opertion of the flight, wouldn't it make sense to trust the word of the guy in the deicing bucket that the aircraft is clear and devoid of any contaminants?

DLMHT

707guy
Topic Author

Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:21 am

That's pretty much what I was getting at. I've had pilots ask me for their holdover time and the time of final application when we're only defrosting with Type I and there is no precip. I guess that each individual pilot is different. Some are really into it and some are not.

FLY 8

Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:04 pm

Well that is a good point DLMHT and 707 guy! I always trust the de-ice guys since I noticed, that they get really good training and are well informed. But I know all the information always by myself too. I mean to know the difference between type I and type IV fluids is essential, specially when you fly turbo props.
yes i can handle that alone. - - -famous last words