flyf15

Cfii Training

Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:03 pm

Hey guys,

Tomorrow I'm starting my CFII training (add-on to my CFI). For those of you who have been through this, what was the training and checkride like? Also, what would you recommend studying and what are some good review materials? (its been a while since I've done any IFR work) And lastly, how long did it take you (flight hours)?

Thanks much!

Ralgha

RE: Cfii Training

Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:41 pm

It's basically an instrument checkride from the right seat, only shorter. Study the same material as for the instrument rating and be able to teach it. Instrument procedures, approaches, departures, etc. Probably should know the instrumentation inside and out also. Really it's not that hard. You'll have to do a couple maneuvers and a couple approaches. It was the second easiest checkride I've had.
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:59 pm

Ralgha has it as far as the subject material--it's an instrument checkride from the right seat, while explaining the various maneuvers. However, I had the opposite experience on the checkride. The oral was ok, but this particular examiner decided to make the flying portion harder than anything I'd ever done--my initial CFI wasn't even that hard. Perhaps he needed a bust, or he disliked my CFII instructor, or he had some sort of wierd thing against me--I still can't quite figure out what his problem was. All I know is that my CFII checkride was more difficult than anything I'd heard of, or any checkride that I'd previously taken. But I don't think that my experience is representative of the CFII practical in general.

-Normal

Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:57 pm

I'll second what Ralpha and 'Speed have said. Typically, your two most "intense" checkrides are your instrument and the initial CFI rides. The private and commercial usually aren't that bad, but they want to know that you know your stuff before allowing you to launch (with innocent passengers  Big grin ) into the clouds. Same thing goes for new instructors - they really want to know that you know your stuff before they give you the ability to teach and sign off others. The rest of the ratings are really not that bad - the multi and MEI are almost a "gimmies"; the ATP and aircraft type rating rides are basically just "aircraft specific" instrument checkrides. By the time you get to that point, it's not that bad - just some memorization along with jumping through the typical training hoops at school.

Jetguy

jhooper

Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:22 am

It was really very easy. It took 3 flight lessons to prepare and the 4th was the checkride, all done in less than a week. I just had to brush up on the approaches, etc., since it had been 4 years since my instrument ride.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.