mozart

Who Decides Which Airline Gets Landing Slot?

Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:15 am

Since I did not get an answer over in "General Aviation", I try this section:

I have a question on slots, not the scheduled/planned slots, but the ACTUAL slots on a given day.

What I have in mind is the following situation: it is bad weather in LHR, and therefore ATC has to limit the number of arrivals to a number lower than planned. Often this results in planes sitting on the ground at their departure airport because they would not be able to land in LHR 90 mins later.

Now, an abstract example: if there is one landing slot at LHR, and there are two British Airways planes, say one in CDG and the other one in AMS, both requesting to leave to LHR (and assuming both are ready to go and all other things being equal): can BA operations influence the ATC decision, for instance, say they would prefer the plane from FRA to make it rather than the one from AMS for operational reasons (rotation of the plane for the rest of the day, more transit pax, whatever other reason)? Or does BA have no say in that and is purely dependent upon ATC discretion?

THanks

744rules

RE: Who Decides Which Airline Gets Landing Slot?

Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:28 am

I think it is the CFMU (Central Flow Management Unit) who decides on the acceptance rate inbound/outbound or transiting a waypoint. If I'm not mistaken, these guys are with Eurocontrol in BRU.

In your example with the 2 BA flts, I would think that their ops control talks to the crews and tell them what to do.

mozart

Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:51 am

OK, thanks. But could BA talk to ATC/Eurocontrol to ask them to prefer the BA plane from FRA rather than the BA plane from AMS as long as it does not make a difference for ATC? BA may prefer to have the one back at base rather than the other one for whatever reasons (rotation).

nonrvsmdmf

Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:17 am

744rules is correct. The CFMU decides the regulations that
affect the slots. The slots are issued on a first come first
serve basis.

For the example of the two aircraft for one slot, BA would have to
accept the slot assigned or go to the back of the slot list. They
cannot say send the other aircraft instead because the slots
are issued per airport, not per carrier.
I did not forget...I just misplaced the thought...

mozart

Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:38 am

OK, thanks for that!

L-188

Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:29 pm

The CFMU also gets most of the bribes too  Laugh out loud

Sorry, I know this is supposed to be a serious discussion but it was too good an opportunity to pass up.

but slot assignments can get extremently political.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.