Boeing Nut

Appraoch Speed Categories

Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:37 pm

Hey all,

I'm having a bit of a brain cramp here. Can anyone tell me the different approach speed categories? Not the CAT I, II or III kind. The listing of approach speeds. Category A,B,C, etc. I know that the 61 kt stall speed has something to do with it. At least, I thought so.

Thanks. I've been out of the flying loop for a while now.  Sad
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

FredT

RE: Appraoch Speed Categories

Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:10 am

Category A. Speed less than 91 knots.

Category B. Speed 91 knots or more but less than 121 knots.

Category C. Speed 121 knots or more but less than 141 knots.

Category D. Speed 141 knots or more but less than 166 knots.

Category E. Speed 166 knots or more.

Only bothered to find a web page. All the normal reservations regarding correct figures apply. Check the FARs/JARs for more detail.

Cheers,
Fred
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

Boeing Nut

Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:27 am

Many thanks Fred,

Which website or page was it? I looked under FAA and did searches using approach speeds etc. Guess I wasn't using the right ones.

Thanks again.
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

ilikeyyc

Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:15 pm

Remember, the speed at which you conduct the approach has nothing to do with the category. The category that you fit into is determined by 1.3 Vso (or Vref for a large jet). [FAR 97.3] so you were right, the stall speed is a factor in determining approach category.

however, this is not true for a circling approach. The category for circling is determined by the speed at which you conduct the approach. Stall speed is not a factor for circling.
Fighting Absurdity with Absurdity!

flyf15

Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:33 pm

In addition for example, even if you are a catagory A aircraft but fly the approach at greater than 90kts, you must comply with catagory B requirements (ie: minimums). The reverse is not true tough, say you are a catagory B aircraft but fly the approach at 90kts, you must still comply with catagory B requirements.