macmac76

Alaska Airlines Pilots

Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:55 pm

Question on AS's pilots...are they divided into two groups? Pilots qualified only to fly the 737's, and those qualified to fly only the MD80's? Or are ALL pilots type rated to fly both 737s and MD80s? Thank you in advance!

SlamClick

RE: Alaska Airlines Pilots

Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:39 pm

I am not an AS pilot but I can offer some generalities that are without a doubt, correct for AS as well.

Current qualification is more important than a type rating. So it is possible that some pilots may be typed on two or more of an airline's fleet. But that does not mean that they may fly them. One must be currently qualified under that airline's training program to fly a given airplane. No one at any major airline jumps back and forth between two or more different types.

We bid for our work position, according to our seniority. Bases, like ANC, SEA or LAX would be one way to bid. Types, like B-737, MD-80 would be another and the seat, captain or first officer is the final divide. For example you might be able to hold captain on lower-paying equipment or at a less desirable base sooner. On the other hand, if you don't live at your crewbase you may prefer to be the number two first officer and get commutable lines over being a reserve captain and having to spend all your time at a crashpad in your base.

Whatever bid you are awarded, that is what you fly. If a company was all out of MD-80 captains they would cancel flights because they cannot put a B-737 pilot in an MD-80 just because he has the type rating.

Even if the FAA would permit a company to allow its pilots to keep current on two types, the training cost would just not make it worthwhile - safety issues aside.

Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

RyDawg82

Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:54 am

At Alaska the pilot groups are of course by base (ANC SEA LAX), and by type. You have your Mad Dog (MD83) drivers, 737-200 combi drivers, and then your 737-400/700/900 guys. So three city bases, and three fleet bases.

Hope this helps,
-R

doug_or

Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:25 am

I believe the breakdown is

LAX-737-4/7/9

SEA- MD-80, 737-4/7/9

ANC- 737-200 (737-4/7/9?)

I know that MD-80 pilots used to be based in LAX too, untill recently. I'm not sure if all 737-4/7 drivers are qualified to fly the -900.
When in doubt, one B pump off

N743AS

Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:40 pm

SEA is a 737-400/NG & MD80 base. ANC is the 737-200 base and LAX is a 737-400/NG base. If you are rated in the 737-400 you fly the all NG's in addition.
So I'm SEA based and fly the 737-400/700/900

-743AS
If the airplane is one piece, don't cheat on it...ride the bastard down! -Ernest K. Ghann