MTChemNerd757
Topic Author

A Checks, C Checks, M Checks, Etc

Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:27 pm

Hi, as i look through the forums, i see messages about c checks and a checks and m checks (are the 3 that come to mind). can someone fill me in as to what each of these is and what they entail? thanks!

ciao!
brad
Fight Terrorism - Ride a Bike!

air2gxs

RE: A Checks, C Checks, M Checks, Etc

Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:16 pm

Every airline has its only schedule of maintenance (approved by the manufacturer and the aplicable government body).

Here, since we have such a varied fleet, we also have different maintenance programs.

Simply:

Arrival Service checks whenever the aircraft arrives at a station with maintenance.

Periodic Service check every weekend, not to exceed 7 days.

Then, depending on fleet type, we will do either "A-Checks", "PS-Checks", "PMC-Checks" or "TC-Checks." These are scheduled at intervals set out in our Maintenance Specification Manuals. basically the above checks involve lubrication, servicing, inspecting and checking systems at a superficial level.

Then we get into your heavier checks, "B", "C" & "D". These are progressively higher checks. As a guideline, "B" is done at 3 or 4 month intervals, "C" at 2 or 3 year intervals and "D" at 4-6 year intervals. I'm not sure if anyone does "D" checks anymore, since You can roll "D" check tasks into "C" checks. '

If you haven't noticed it is complicated and varied.

By the way, never heard of an "M" check.

Clear as mud.

MTChemNerd757
Topic Author

Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:48 am

thanks air2gxs. what kinds of things would be examples of what you would check every 3 months versus every 3 years?

air2gxs

Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:02 am

An example that comes to mind is starter oils. Some more are CSD/IDG filters & oil, magnetic chip detectors, hydraukic system filters, airconditioning filters. Basically normal wear & tear items.

at c check you begin to look at structural components and items that may still be hard-timed, i.e. gear, flight controls, etc.

flightsimfreak

Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:24 am

At UND, they do A, B, C, and D checks. A is fuselage and empenage, B is engine and cowl, C is wings, and D is B all over again...

At least that's what I recall.

[Edited 2004-02-08 02:25:37]

NKP S2

Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:56 am

If nothing else, I hope the original poster of the question ( or anyone else who cares to know ) can see the just how varied they all are. The whole letter check philosophy is so broad and vague the only thing you can really state with relative certainty is that the checks get more involved and comprehensive upon one another.

Too too many variations. A-checks, B-checks, C-checks, Q-checks, K-checks, S-checks, D-checks.

Some places don't do a full D, but break it up into phases ( commensurate with specific hourly requirements in certain areas ). Never did see a basic "C" check in all my travels...C-1, C-2, C-3.....C-11. Same with B's and A's. I've seen where one carrier's "B" is more like another carrier's "A" and vise-versa and everywhere in between.

You can see, that the basic question is like asking "How long is a piece of string?".

While the forum search ( IMHO ) leaves something to be desired, there is a TON of info on this very subject, and the reader can be kept busy for hours reading it. Note to moderators: How about a Tech-Ops FAQ using info from the archives?

MTChemNerd757
Topic Author

Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:42 pm

thanks everybody! gives me at least a general idea.  Smile