jhooper

Polarized Sunglasses

Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:01 pm

Is it ok to fly with polarized sunglasses?
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

futureualpilot

RE: Polarized Sunglasses

Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:41 pm

I have before and have not experienced any problems. I still like to most of the time, but it does get uncomfortable under my headset after a little while.
Life is better when you surf.

Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:44 pm

This topic comes up on a fairly regular basis. The best source of "good" information is the April 2003 issue of Aviation Consumer. (By the way, Aviation Consumer is one of my favorite aviation magazines and a very good source of information. It's basically the "Consumer Reports" of general aviation - I highly recommend it.) They had a comprehensive report on the various sunglass lenses, tints, shades, etc. I'd cut and paste the entire article here except that I'm afraid I'd be busting some copyright laws. However, their summary said something along the lines of:

"Polarizing Lenses: This one is easy. Many instrument displays and aircraft windscreens are polarized. Most pilots who have tried polarized lenses have found them unsatisfactory."

Personally, I've never found polarized lenses to be of much benefit in aircraft cockpits and, depending on what material the windscreen is made of, they can cause "interesting" and undesirable visual effects. Get yourself the best quality lenses you can find (they don't have to be that expensive either) in a good dark gray tint. The larger the lenses are the better and make sure that they have the UV coating on them.

Jetguy

L-188

Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:56 pm

Actually from what I understand they can be downright dangerous in floatplanes.

Especially when trying to land on still water.

Absolutely no depth perception.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

FredT

Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:51 pm

Try flying an aircraft with an LCD screen installed with polarized glasses. If you can see the display, tilt your head. Now you will not.  Big grin

You'll see all the stress in a plexi canopy too. Very interesting, but not desirable as you might just want to look through it instead! Big grin

Cheers,
Fred
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

B727-200

Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:26 pm

A bit off topic, but are aircraft windshields coated in UV protective film? I imagine you could get quite a tan and some retinal damage if they were not.

Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:47 am

In the 1970s I bought polarized sunglasses -
Attempted to wear them while flying a 727... could not see anything outside -
The winshield was polarized, as well, turning head sideways blanked all vision -
Since then I always used the standard "RayBan" pilot glasses...
xxx
Now I wear prescription glasses mounted in Rayban frames...
And just clip dark lenses on top of them during bright days, as needed.
By the way, I use "neutral gray" lenses - as recommended by some.
xxx
Dont need to wear $$$ glasses to be comfortable...
Nor to look like a movie star when flying, or walking in the streets...  Big grin
Happy contrails -
(s) Skipper

dragogoalie

Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:52 am

I always heard that flying with polarized sunglasses wasn't a good idea because one of the more common ways to see other aircraft is by seeing the sun reflecting off of them.

--dragogoalie-#88--
Formerly known as Jap. Srsly. AUSTRALIA: 2 days!

BlatantEcho

Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:55 am

Never would sell Polarized glasses to a costumer if I knew they were a pilot.

Pilots asked frequently too, inquisitive folk.

George
They're not handing trophies out today

QantasA332

Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:39 am

A bit off topic, but are aircraft windshields coated in UV protective film?

Well, all glass blocks most UV rays (the nature of glass is such that it absorbs light in the ultra violet range), but, as aircraft windscreens aren't quite glass, you'd hope there is a protective coating............I think would be.

Cheers,
QantasA332

FredT

Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:19 am

Plexi does not block much UV - trust me, I know! You get a good burn.

There were experiments with red plexi, no idea about the composition, to reduce sunburn through the canopies. As they don't seem to be around, I don't think they were too successful. I can imagine why...  Smile

Cheers,
Fred
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

fspilot747

Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:40 am

I had this issue when looking for sunglasses meself. I ended up buying the Ray Ban "Pilot," which is a metal framed, semi wrap around non-polaraized pair.

I know that when looking for traffic, sometimes the reflection of the sun off the other plane gives it away. I wouldn't want to lose that with polarized glasses.

FSP

mirrodie

Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:32 am

I am an optometrist. My patients who fly, some of them are corporate and airline pilots, each have their own opinion.

While there are issues as far as the degree of polarization, the answer is simple: it depends on the individuals comfort.

Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

cancidas

Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:30 am

i fly with them, and i don't know how i flew without them before. when you're flying into the sun and it's right above the horizon they help out a lot.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

pilotpip

Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:57 am

I don't fly with polarized lenses, but I have really good sunglasses becuase I got them cheap. Personally, I find that the quality of the lense has everything to do with my comfort when wearing a pair of glasses. I can notice the difference between flying with a pair of $10 department store glasses and my Smith glasses.
DMI

N1641

Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:24 am

Im not allowed to wear them in an USAF tower but we have window shades. So how does a person who wears glasses keep the sun out of their eyes while flying? Maybe get those things that slide over the front of them? I always thought I would wear my polarized set when I finally get to fly, oh yes I will....

beechcraft

Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:59 am

Hi,
i´m doing fine with Skylet glasses from Zeiss. They are darkend 80 or 85% and also contrast enhancing. They are a little bit yellow coloured, but it´s no problem to see the different colours e.g. on the CRT.
Vision is great andt hey are easy on the eyes due to the contrast feature and i am hardly ever flying (or driving )without them.
Also, they are affordable. I got the glasses for appr. 25€ each.

best regards,

Denis
That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!

ThirtyEcho

Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:18 am

Never used them in 45 years of flying and here is why: they block the glint of sun off of a window or bare metal part of another aircraft. I can't tell you the number of times that a sunflash has pointed out traffic that was still far away or running in and out of cloud.

PilotHighFlyer

Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:41 am

I fly with Maui Jim Kapalua which are polarized with their own process which is called PolarizedPlus, it supposable block glare on more angles. The only problem I have found is reading the digital displays in aircraft such as the Sr22, I also find it nearly impossible to read the navigation screen in my car with them on. Other than reading the Displays they are great, i can fly directly into the sun with out having to squint or be annoyed by the light.
They also help when looking for traffic, really makes it alot easier to spot

~Robert

undies737

Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:09 am

on subject of whether acft windscreens have UV coatings, have a look @ PPG's website, they're OEM window manufacturer for most transport category acft

wing

Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:20 am

I had made the mistake of spending some good amounth of money to my sunglasses with polarized glasses and I realised that its not possibble to see from the front of the cockpit windows.It looks weird and disturbing(even more than the sunlight itself).I can say I don't recomend if anybody will fly with them.
follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"

cancidas

Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:20 am

yeah. flying a glass cockpit is hard with polarized glasses (just tried it). other than that, it's fine in my book.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

LZ-TLT

RE: What With Thrust Reverse Prior To Touchdown.

Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:28 am

Well...to add to Mirrodie's comment:
Folks, unless staring directly into the sun for hours, the retinal damage by bright sunlight is just an urban legend. Most UV gets absorbed or reflected on the border of the tear flud film and the surrounding air. What gets through, gets absorbed by the cornea, so a neglectedly small amount of UV rays makes it through to the retina. About every good optometrist or ophtalmologist will tell you nearly the same, so wearing the glasses is just for convenience.