Aerosvit
Topic Author

Turbulence And Us...

Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:42 am

So as I was reading some of the trip reports...I read a lot about extreme turbulence and flight attendants havingt to stop serving due to it.

SO the question is...just how much can an aircraft handle? I heard somewhere that the 777s wings can bend pretty high up and down...some 10 or so feet up and down. Is that true?
Clava Ykraini

Starlionblue

RE: Turbulence And Us...

Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:45 am

Not that I have exact figures, but the typical thing you hear is "150% of the max load that is ever expected to be applied".

The 777 wings can bend about 7 metres up and a couple down.

Basically other things (interiors, passengers and so on) will break before the aircraft.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:57 am

Turbulence and you (passengers)...
xxx
If you knew about what can turbulence be, you would buckle-up AT ALL TIMES in your seats.
Time spent in the aisle would be the strict minimum for the pee-pee run...
Flight attendants deserve "hazardous duty pay"...
I know one who will never walk again in her life, due to spine injuries.
xxx
Happy contrails  Smile
(s) Skipper

Aerosvit
Topic Author

Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:09 am

As a matter of fact...I keep my seatbelt on at all times. Even after the sign went off. Anything can happen so its always on. When I go to the bathroom...that's the only time I'm without a seatbelt...

And I get worried everytime I'm standing by the back door of the plane and a kid is sitting on the "Do Not Sit" part of the door as happened on a BA747 flight to London. I almost freaked!

But the question stays...how much turbulence can a plane handle?
Clava Ykraini

MITaero

Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:23 am

Well, how do you quantify turbulence? It's sudden acceleration that puts stress on structures (I think), so all you have to do is figure out how much force the a/c can take, and, given its mass, compute the critical acceleration.

Not sure.

sovietjet

Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:10 am

During testing...the Tu-154 wing was bent 14 meters from its original position before breaking. Tu-154s have extremely flexible wings as you can see which leads to them being almost "turbulence free" and a smooth ride in the end.

artsyman

Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:57 pm

I think one of the problems that I have noticed consistently over the years is that what is felt in the cockpit, and what is felt in the back galley is dramatically different. I have had plenty of flights where the captain was totally unaware of how brutal it was in the back.

Jeremy