gearup

Heavy Landing Checks

Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:51 pm

This one goes out to all you line maintenance folks. How is it decided that a heavy landing inspection must be performed on an aircraft? Is it up to the crew to do a log entry or is there some cockpit indication that a heavy landing was made? Also, what is actually checked after a hard landing?

GU
I have no memory of this place.

Starlionblue

RE: Heavy Landing Checks

Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:44 am

To get you started, there is a little info here: http://www.sasflightops.com/fleet/A340_general.htm under "Operational Limitation". It would seem that it has to do with G's and sink rate, but I'm sure there are other criteria. And I have no idea how the ground crew would know, unless everyone aboard has broken teeth or something.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

VC-10

Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:51 am

The a/c will print out an exceedance rpt when it occurs

broke

Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:34 am

It depends on what you mean by a "heavy landing".
For a landing over the maximum landing weight, the flight crew will normally make a log entry and there are procedures in the maintenance manual on what to inspect.
For a "hard" landing, it is again up to the flight crew to log entry; but I have seen the results of a hard landing where the flight crew did not realize what had happened.
The 727 seems to be particularly susceptible to an undetected hard landing.
Generally the people in the rear of the cabin will feel it a lot more than the cockpit crew,
One incident that I remember, the airplane was inspected several weeks later after the F/A on the rear jump seat filed a workmen's compensation claim for a back injury due to a hard landing.
There was a lot of damage to that airplane which had not been reported at the time or during the several weeks of maintenance checks and flight crew walk-arounds after.

Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:25 am

I have made a few of "heavy landings" (landings when exceeding max landing weight).
Each time, I had a problem or malfunction, and I called the company.
I had one last year in a 747. Gear truck not aligned for retraction.
This to let them make the decision, jettison expensive fuel, or land as is, overweight.
None of the landings were "hard", well to the contrary.
Inspection required probably took 1 or 2 hours, and that included the repairs of malfunctions I had.
As ususal, it is mostly paperwork for the aircraft records.
xxx
Happy contrails  Smile
(s) Skipper

Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:22 am

Heavy landing chicks? Needless to say, I stay well clear.

'Speed

MD11Engineer

Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:27 am

A heavy landing check is regulated in ATA 05 of the maintenance manual. Typical items would be a close inspection of the landing gear and esp. the fuse pins, the skin for wrinkles and popped rivets, esp. around the wing roots, general distortion and damage of structure. Normally the AMM states additionaly checks as required by the manufacturer.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

gearup

Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:31 am

Thanks for the replies everyone.

GU
I have no memory of this place.