ExPanAmer
Topic Author

New 747-400 Without Winglets?

Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:55 pm

I came across a picture of 2 new 747s that are getting delivered to Air France- a Freighter and a - 400. Why are there no winglets on the -400 ? I tried to copy the picture , but I apologize for failing.

splitzer

RE: New 747-400 Without Winglets?

Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:01 pm

Perhaps they weren't installed yet for some reason, or got damaged in the factory/ramp waiting for delivery. Since they aren't required for the safety of the flight, the aircraft can fly with one, or both missing - hence the pictures in the database of some aircraft with them missing.

Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:16 pm

Dear ExPanAmer -
xxx
Lack of picture does not help...
As a rule, all the 747-400 have the "winglets" with one exception, the short range versions for the Japanese domestic flights which were ordered without winglets - 747-446D and 747-481D...
They are an option for ANA and JAL...
Makes them look like 300s, as the end result.
xxx
I do not follow much of the progress of the 400s...
I doubt AF would plan to operate shorter range airplanes with their route structure...
xxx
Maybe some spotters who collect pictures will let you know.
I did not know myself about the 400D in Japan having no winglets. I once was passenger on an ANA flight, thought the aircraft was a 300SR, and went to the flight deck to shake hands with the pilots. To my surprise, it was a 400D, without winglets...
xxx
I know just about anything you want to know about 100-200-300 and SPs...
But my IQ failed with the arrival of the 400... they are beyond me.
xxx
Happy contrails  Smile
(s) Skipper

B2707SST

Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:33 am

Boeing delivered two -400s to Air France on Thursday, one a -400 and one a -400ERF. The pax -400 is parked on gray tarmac at an angle that makes the winglets difficult to see:

If you look carefully, you can see the winglet as a gray line extending diagonally up from the wingtip.

Incidentally, the 747 Advanced will probably have 764-style raked wingtips in place of the -400's canted winglets.

--B2707SST
Keynes is dead and we are living in his long run.

ExPanAmer
Topic Author

Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:01 pm

B2707SST- The picture you posted was indeed the picture I saw, and you have better eyes than I do. I even used a magnifing glass on the screen, and still barely made out the gray winglets!

B747SKIPPER- Just a curious question... When you worked for PAA, where were you based ( JFK? ) and did you get to fly their SPs? If you did, were they much different to fly versus the -100,-200s ? I would like to greet you in Portugese, but you probably don't want to hear Mil Bejos and Saudades from me! Ha Ha.

Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:30 pm

Obrigado, ExPanAmer...
xxx
I was based primarily JFK with PanAm... and yes I flew the SP a few times, we did JFK to BAH direct flights... but then, the SPs went to UAL when they acquired the Pacific Division. Then funny, 4 years ago, I did a ferry-delivery flight from Victorville to Brisbane of a 747SP-27, I had not been in a SP for over 12-13 years ago. Empty (just full fuel), that bird performed like a real homesick angel. SPs were always "fun" to fly, somewhat like 720Bs were...
xxx
Very little difference in the flight deck with an SP, there is no flaps 25 position, it goes from flaps 20 to flaps 30. (Landing is always flaps 30 in SPs).
As for the fuel, they have 9 tanks rather than 7 as found on the 100s and the older 200s. At a later time, 200s and 300s had an option for 9 tanks like the SP (even 10 tanks!). If you research old posts of mine, you can find quite a bit of info about the SP.
xxx
As a matter of fact, I am supposed to fly that SP again in the near future, to deliver it to West Africa, it is located at CGK airport presently. A recent thread deletion about that subject caused a little upheaval... I will not try to mention it again... entaõ cuidate de coisas politicas e mensajes personais aqui, mi filho...!
xxx
Happy contrails  Smile
(s) Skipper

Starlionblue

Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:17 am

Philistines!

Glad to have you back Skipper!

****Fine, delete me...*****
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo