pilottim747

Taxiing With The Thrust Reversers Out?

Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:50 pm

I was looking at my friend's website, www.airplanephotozone.com, and I noticed a photo taken of an ERJ-145 taxiing with its thrust reversers out. This seems quite unusual. It's clearly taxiing, not landing, because MSPs Runway 30R is seen directly behind the aircraft. Has anyone spotted this before? Any ideas on why a pilot would do that (or if it was intentional)?

pilottim747
www.mspupdate.com
Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.

LVZXV

RE: Taxiing With The Thrust Reversers Out?

Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:17 pm

My guess is the pilot took one of the slipways off the runway, hasn't bled off all his speed, and is simply freewheeling i.e. making use of the speed he has so as not to use more power while taxiing. I'm sure he disengaged the reversers very shortly after this shot was taken, unless he was rolling really fast! I've seen it done before on 732s, as well as taxiing almost as far as the gate with spoilers still extended and flaps fully down. No harm done, although it is standard procedure to "clean up" once below flying speed. Once off the runway, the wheel brakes are the most effective form of braking, although reversers could be used in emergency (if taxiing in a 3rd world airport with thick fog and all of the sudden you realise your taxiway gives way to the sea or something!).

XV

How do you say "12 months" in Estonian?

pilottim747

Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:40 pm

LVZXV, I should've mentioned that this plane is actually taxiing from the gate to takeoff. There's a photo, also on the website, that was taken maybe 30 seconds before with this plane taxing by but there are no thrust reversers out.

pilottim747

NW747-400

Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:08 pm

I have met several biz jet pilots that use the reverse thrust to slow down during taxi...they put in power for a brisk taxi and then engage reverse thrust to slow down instead of putting wear on the brakes.

AR385

Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:11 pm

Pilottim747,

If the case is what you said on reply 2, then my guess is the plane is at maximum takeoff weight, the pilot accelerated too fast and now needs to slow down, but does not want to heat the brakes as he will soon be taking off at max weight, so he is using the reversers to slow down.

pilottim747

Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:17 pm

AR35, you're scenario is definitely possible. The ERJ-145 was operating CO Ex, MSP-EWR. It probably had full fuel and definitely could've been a full flight of pax.

I'm guessing that this would only work with smaller jets, am I right? Anyone else seen this before? And if so, what aircraft was it?

pilottim747

RB211LTN

Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:14 pm

As LVZXV mentions, I've seen this done on the 737-200. When we had then at easyJet, some of the pilots would use them at LTN when we were on the downhill run from the runway to the apron. On more than one occasion I had alarmed passengers claiming that the engine had just 'come apart'.
The customer is always right.....unless he is a passenger!

flyingbronco05

Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:12 pm

Pilots in planes with rear mounted engines often engage a thrust reverser while taxiing as part of their checklist. It's only engaged a few seconds and only one is engaged at a time.

FB05

PS- You see a lot of business jets do this, too.
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

USAFHummer

Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:55 am

I saw this quite frequently when spotting at FLL recently, confused the heck out of me as well, thanks for the post and replies...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:18 am

In most, if not all bizjets, there is a pre-takeoff check that tests the thrust reversers' ability to deploy and stow. Although many AFMs call for this check prior to each flight, it is not uncommon to only see it performed on the first flight of the day. It looks like the photographer took the picture just as the flightcrew was performing the test. FYI, the test is normally performed on both T/Rs simultaneously.

In some aircraft, it is also possible to taxi with one or both T/Rs deployed to minimize the speed build-up. However, it's not always possible to do this because of deployment time and cycle limitations.
Jetguy

RayBolt

Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:01 am

Yeah, I have also seen this done many times w/ bizjets. The airport I did my private training (BLM) at had a decent amount of bizjet activity, and this could be seen quite often.

Dan
You can't join the MHC on the ground.

A3204eva

Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:42 am

I have seen this before. It's to keep the taxiing speed without the use of brakes.

A3204eva Smile
"They have lady pilots......... they're not that good, but they have 'em"