ba97

Static Hex Symbols On Concorde?

Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:21 pm

Sorry folks-newbee and non tech.
On the concorde- both sides are 2 hex dark areas near the front doors. I understand they are static discharge areas-but maybe I am wrong. Can someone explain to me a) are they really static discharge areas. b) why so large compared to other aircraft-I do not see dark hexes like that on other plane-or maybe I am looking in the wrong spot....
I have checked past postings but could not find the answer

BA97
there is economy class, business class, first class...then Concorde..pure class

QantasA332

RE: Static Hex Symbols On Concorde?

Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:30 pm

They're static pressure panels. Basically, they provide data about outside atmospheric conditions. Anyone feel free to expand on that...

Cheers,
QantasA332

(FYI, some AF and perhaps BA aircraft have them painted over, and not black)

VC-10

Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:40 pm

You are confusing electrical static with pitot-static.

The panels on Concorde are static ports for the Air Data Computers (ADC). They are flat panels that have a number of holes in them that connect up to tubing that feed the ADC's with static air pressure.

On all a/c this area has to be maintained very carefully to ensure the ports do not become distorted and the pressure they sense become influenced by dynamic pressure i.e. ram pressure from fwd flight.

L-188

Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:11 pm

On all a/c this area has to be maintained very carefully to ensure the ports do not become distorted

Funny that they chose to locate them right under the 1R door.

You don't see too many airplanes that aren't beat to hell right there due to contact with the jetway or boarding stairs.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

PPGMD

Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:58 am

VC-10,

Not to take this off topic, do you know about that green aircraft in the background on your photo. It almost looks like someone is trying to put a 747 forward section on a DC-10.
At worst, you screw up and die.

dan2002

Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:51 am

"VC-10,

Not to take this off topic, do you know about that green aircraft in the background on your photo. It almost looks like someone is trying to put a 747 forward section on a DC-10"

Yes, I was wondering about that same thing too, it looks like a DC-10 parked in the background and a cut up 747 fus... in the foreground, but I could be wrong, but funny nevertheless.

-Dan
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

fritzi

Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:14 am

PPGMD and Dan,

The "airframe" in the backgournd is the LHR fire trainer, hence the burn marks. It has a upper deck to simulate the upper deck of an aircraft and it has the tail engine to simulate 3 engined aircraft.

And if you were wondering, the airframe has never flown.  Big grin

VC-10

Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:12 am

I was once leaving on a flight from LHR and the green bomber was ablaze when I overheard two pax talking about it all matter of fact.

Husband: "Oh, look at that aircraft on fire"

Wife: " It's green so it must Aer Lingus"

There was no shock horror expressed about an a/c being on fire. It was if they see one every time they take a flight

True story

A/c train

Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:27 am

On a serious note, if anyone sees the static ports covered with tape or blocked in anyway after cleaning has been done or mx carried out or just when it doesnt need to be there, REMOVE IT !!, if a/c departs with blocked pitot static ports, a/c is in trouble. especially in low visibility, I believe there has been a fatal incident relevant to this.

musang

Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:31 am

Indeed. The 757 of a Turkish operator departing The Dominican Republic.

Would you believe Boeing is being sued for allowing the mistakes of the wash crew (not removing the tape) and the pilot doing the external inspection (not checking the static ports) to go undetected.

Musang

aloges

Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:43 am

The aircraft Musang is talking about would be TC-GEN of Birgenair.

Boeing is being what?  Wow! Is there any info available online?
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Starlionblue

Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:38 pm

Aeroperu 757 crashed for the same reason (1996?) and Boeing was being blamed again. Since that crash, Boeing issues brightly colored Static Port Covers and recommends not to use tape. The Aeroperu mech (untrained and unsupervised) used duct tape. Not the brightest ideas on a metal colored plane....
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo