UbiDenmark
Topic Author

Different Operating Techniques

Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:08 pm

I flew BA twice a week for years but now I'm flying BMI. Both on A322. I notice what seems to be quite different operating techniques between the two carriers, particularly on departure.

With BA it was quite customary to turn south almost immediately after the gear retraction was completed. I notice with BMI that the procedure is to climb straight out until first stage of flap retraction is reached. Only at that point is a turn initiated.

Is my observation plausible ? If so, would SOPs account for it or is merely a reflection of individual crew flying style ?

Thanks in advance.

Rick767

RE: Different Operating Techniques

Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:45 am

It is unlikely at an airport with prescribed departure procedures (like LHR) that the departure paths would differ at all, but you need to provide a bit more information.

Let us know the airport in question, runway of departure and destination. If possible, do you know the flap setting used for takeoff in each case, and was there a significant difference in load on the BMI flight compared with the BA flight?

Thanks.
I used to love the smell of Jet-A in the morning...

UbiDenmark
Topic Author

RE: Different Operating Techniques

Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:42 pm

Thanks, I'll pay a bit more attention to the flap settings next time I fly (on Friday) and will pass them on later.