femalefan

DC-8 Airfoil/wing Profile

Sat May 01, 2004 6:25 am

Hi guys!

I'm doing a project on aerodynamical characteristics and I'm missing some data about the airfoil of the DC-8. I know that the airfoil used on the DC-8 is the DSMA-277/-280/-281, but I can't find any details. Any information about leading edge radius, chamber, etc. is appreciated!

Kindest regards,
FemaleFan

QantasA332

RE: DC-8 Airfoil/wing Profile

Sat May 01, 2004 9:56 am

I have data for almost every major airfoil around except the DSMA 277/280/281 'series'! I can't find anything! Maybe someone else has what you're looking for...

Cheers,
QantasA332

AUAE

Sat May 01, 2004 9:46 pm

That might be pretty hard to find. It looks like a proprietory wing section.

This site has one DSMA section...doubt it helps, but maybe you can contact the site owner and find out if they have more info.

http://www.aae.uiuc.edu/m-selig/ads/coord_database.html#M

Shawn
Air transport is just a glorified bus operation. -Michael O'Leary, Ryanair's chief executive

Buzz

Sat May 01, 2004 11:50 pm

Hi FemaleFan, Buzz here. I didn't know what kind of airfoil was installed, i remember hearing the story of the 4% leading edge extention.

Every so often we would install a stainless steel patch to repair leading edge . Stainless steel patches were able to be made thinner than the standard aluminum patch. That was back in the mid-80's so the details are getting kind of fuzzy.

I have a book on my bookshelf, "The Big Eight", it's some of the story on designing / building / selling the DC-8 but is kind of light on engineering.

OK it's a nice day to go flying here (near Portland Oregon) so i'll borrow my friend's Champ and fly with the windows open for awhile.
g'day

Buzz Fuselsausage: Line Mechanic by night, DC-3 Crew Chief by choice, taildragger pilot for fun.