Biggles20
Topic Author

GA Queries

Fri May 07, 2004 8:41 pm

Hello All,

Im in a bit of a hurry because I am currently writing an essay due in for today. However, I couldn't resist the lure of A.net so here are my queries.

1) When I flew briefly on the Grob 115 'Tutor' with the RAF, I didn't realise just how much visibility I was afforded through its canopy. Not only could I look out the front, sides and back, but I had a completely unobstructed view vertically through the one piece canopy. My first query is how do all you GA pilots manage to spot other A/C with such an obstructed view of above in A/C such as the piper/cessna?

2) I was told that during your standard PPL, GA pilots aren't actually allowed to try stalls/spins and their associated recovery techniques - instead they are just briefly shown/demonstrated, etc. Is this correct or am I simply being exceedingly naieve?

answers appreciated in advance,
cheers

biggles

SUPRAZACHAIR

RE: GA Queries

Fri May 07, 2004 9:12 pm

1) Not being able to see behind you and below you (in a Piper) is obviously disadvantageous, however you are taught certain precautionary techniques to aid in traffic avoidance. One thing we do is when climbing, or when on a straight heading, we execute shallow banks left and right to see below us. As for seeing behind us, about all you can do is a good clearing turn.

2) Spins are not a required maneuver for your PPL training, however it is for CFI training. Heck, the PA28-161;s I train in aren't even certified for spins; our CFI's have to use the 152/172 for spin training. Stalls on the other hand are an integral part of training. Stalls and their often subsequent spins are a leading cause of GA accidents. That being the case, understanding what causes a stall, what the warning signs of a stall are, and how to recover from a stall are extremely important. Every PPL check ride includes stalls. You aren't being naive.

Also these are in reference to training in the states, so UK training may be slightly different.
-Zach (day 2 as a PPL Smile)

goboeing

RE: GA Queries

Fri May 07, 2004 10:52 pm

My first query is how do all you GA pilots manage to spot other A/C with such an obstructed view of above in A/C such as the piper/cessna?

Just the opposite, I did not realize how bad the outside visibility was in the C-172 until I flew the Grob 109. You can see down better, but side to side isn't as good and like you mentioned, looking up is unobstructed. Also, I like the little foot-windows the Grob has.

I was told that during your standard PPL, GA pilots aren't actually allowed to try stalls/spins and their associated recovery techniques - instead they are just briefly shown/demonstrated, etc.

For my PPL, I had to do power on and off stalls during practice flights with the instructor and also on the checkride. It is required in the Practical Test Standards (PTS). I did not do any spins prior to the PPL, but I was taught about them. I did not actually get to do a spin until about 10 flying hours after the PPL, at which time I did other aerobatics with them. Teaching a PPL student spins is a good idea, I think. You really find out what the aircraft can do and what it takes to get it to do and and get out of it.

Nick