VS346
Topic Author

Landing At NCE

Tue May 18, 2004 1:57 pm

There is another topic in tech/ops about the efforts pilots must go through while taking off from SNA.

This reminded me of an article I read a long time ago in an AF inflight mag about NCE and how hard it is to land there (or take off?) because of either noise restrictions or geography, can't remember.

Just curious to see if there are any pilots here who are familiar with NCE and to get your impressions.

Thanks,
VS346
Virgin-Atlantic: More experience than our name suggests

INNflight

RE: Landing At NCE

Tue May 18, 2004 2:16 pm

I've been to NCE airport several times and was flying in / out the airport twice.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Florian Sedlmeier

Basically, the airport is built into the sea, just in front of the town of Nice.
The two runways are very close to each other, the inner one is always used for landings, the outer one for takeoffs.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bjorn Alegren

On this image, you can see how close the airport is to the promenade de inglais ( spelling...? ) the main beach and road of Nice, which is visible in the background. Also, geographically, all aircraft have to do a hard right bank immediately after takeoff as they have those mountains in the foreground. And as you already mentioned... Because of noise restrictions, they're not allowed to fly over the town of Nice.

regards, Florian
Jet Visuals