CFI Program Info Needed

Thu May 20, 2004 3:33 pm

Hey all,

I'm going to try and get my CFI this summer and I was wondering if any of you that have done this training can give me some estimates on time, money, and other things needed. Also, if you're in the midwest where you did it becuase I'm trying to find a way to get it done cheap. Yeah, I know that 'cheap' is a relative term but I have no money since I'm an aviation major working in the aviation industry.  Smile

Any help is appreciated.

RE: CFI Program Info Needed

Thu May 20, 2004 3:38 pm

Can't help with the cost estimates - know nothing of the US industry - but an instructors course here takes about six weeks fulltime. I'm also starting in the next couple of months - looking forward to it  Big thumbs up

Thu May 20, 2004 5:27 pm

If the Chicagoland (DuPage and Palwaukee airports) area isn't too far, look into American Flyers http://www.americanflyers.net/about/cfiacademy.asp. They advertise $2995 for CFI and CFII in 30 days.

Now realistically it'll be a bit more than that if you add in books and whatnot. But, in the end it'll get you both in the 30 day range and in a lot more respectable manner than some of the other quick operations that basically try to pump you through as quick as possible. They emphasize the knowledge and teaching, which I think is a huge plus.

Good Luck!

"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

Thu May 20, 2004 10:19 pm

I would run, not walk away from AF in Chicago. Too many friends have been burned by them, and there are several FSDO inspections ongoing into their training program, and they manged to make the front page of the Trib a few months ago for similar reasons. You may get your certificate, but personally, I prefer not to give my money to business that operate like they do (ex- see here: http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33927 )

While I'm not a fan of rating mills in general, some do serve their purpose. ATP's, www.allatps.com has several CFI programs available, including a 14 day program to get all 3 (MEI, CFII, CFI) You do your initial in the multi, then do the II in a twin as well, and finish with an SEL add-on. I plan on going there in the fall, it's not cheap, but I've heard nothing but good things about them.
Happy contrails - I support B747Skipper and Jetguy

Fri May 21, 2004 12:49 am

Theres a place in mankato that you can do it in less than a month, more like 2-3 weeks. 2 friends of mine did it once all over christmas break. Seemed like a reputable company.

oh and PS you definitely need to get your FOI and CFI and II knowledge tests out of the way really early. You can be as profficent as a 20 yr CFI in the right seat but if you don't have the writtens done you're not going anywhere.

[Edited 2004-05-20 17:51:08]
Do you like movies about gladiators?

Fri May 21, 2004 2:46 am

Pilotpip, actually the CFI doesn't have to cost very much at all. You can do almost all of the work on your own: study the material, know the PTS (it IS the test), write lesson plans, etc. You really don't need to buy any flight instructor textbooks other than the FOI (but the Gliem CFI book is pretty good)... And you only need to have your cfi as a way to check your progress occasionally and to fly with you the first few times you're in the right seat. Also, practice teaching on your own, at home, at the gym (silently  Smile), etc.

Anyway, good luck and have fun with it.

Fri May 21, 2004 2:44 pm

I couldn't agree more with Illini_152. Stay far far far away from AF. That's all I have to say about that.

Now for the positive comments. If you want an accelerated program go for ATP. They're great. I did my private multi engine rating with them at their Chicago base about two years ago. Now, after completing my commercial AMEL at my university, I'm currently back at ATP (Chicago) doing multi-time building.

I purchased two of the 10 hour programs and a week from Sunday I'm headed to their Seattle base for their 35-hour ASAP program. So far we've done mostly x-country flying during the ten hour programs. About half my time has been actual IMC. Tomorrow afternoon I'm flying from Chicago to their base in Bowling Green, Kentucky. I'm having a blast! 55 Hours of twin time in a little over two weeks. Not a bad deal. http://www.allatps.com

I will say not to rush the CFI though. Just keep in mind that you will have the lives of students who look up to you in your hands.. Take your time and do it right. I'm just about ready for the ride myself. Not looking forward to it though.
Right rudder....Right rudder...Come on, more right rudder....Right rudder......Aw forget it, I quit!!

Sat May 22, 2004 9:13 pm

Thanks everyone. I've heard about the issues with AF in Chicago, being only a couple hundred miles south with a lot of fellow students from up there makes the word move fast. It's not something that I'm going to take lightly and I'm willing to pay a little more if the training is worth it. However, being a broke college kid as most of you can relate to leaves you taking it as lightly as your pocketbook will allow.

Since I got all the responses about Chicago, I would assume at least one or two of you are from there. All I have to say is this: GO CARDS!!  Big thumbs up