jmets18

How To Get A Job In Aviation Maintenance?

Fri May 21, 2004 3:49 am

does anyone have any advice on how one would obtain a job in commercial aviation maintenance. i am currently employed by the worlds number one defense contractor, working on military aircraft, and am looking to get into commercial aircraft. i'm curious as to whether or not there are some good websites out there, or if there is anyone on this forum that has some good connections. i'd like to work for delta at ATL considering that is where i live.

thanks...

MD11Engineer

RE: How To Get A Job In Aviation Maintenance?

Fri May 21, 2004 4:10 am

First question, since you seem to be American, do you have an A&P licence?

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

EMBQA

Fri May 21, 2004 6:11 am

At Delta in ATL...?? Good Luck...!! DAL and all most every Major airline have thousands and thousands of mechanics still laid-off. Most of these are union (except DAL)and the positions are subject to recall, so no new hiring will happen until the recalls are back working. Your best and only bet might be to try contracting, do a good job and hope to be picked up direct at some repair station or you might also want to try a regional airline. Some are hiring, but the pay is often quite low. As far as the major airlines..? It will be years until things get back to normal.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

FredT

Fri May 21, 2004 6:51 am

Mechanical engineer, your profile says? As in "holds and engineering degree"? I get confused by the way you people over there call the guys who drive the trains and I dunno who else engineers...  Smile

Make sure to add something to your background which makes you stand out from the rest in the pile of applicants for the engineering jobs? If they have twenty mechanical engineers applying, but one has a PPL-G, an additional degree in some other subject, has managed to get an article published in a magazine which is recognized by the people doing the recruiting... that one will have a better chance.

Of course not as good a chance as the guy who happens to have gone to school with a friend of the human resources director's sons fiance... :/

Cheers,
Fred
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

avioniker

Fri May 21, 2004 9:17 am

You might have a chance with AirTran but Delta is doubtful.
The thing is you have no relavent experience. I don't even call people in for an interview with less than two years on our aircraft type in a line environment and an A&P. (Unless someone I trust has recommended them)
You'll probably have to start out in someone's hangar and work your way out and up. It's dirty but someone has to do it.
Incidentally, Lockheed knows how to build planes but maintenance in the field is another issue altogether. Make sure you have fixing and servicing in your resume.
Best of luck to you.
One may educate the ignorance from the unknowing but stupid is forever. Boswell; ca: 1533

IMissPiedmont

Fri May 21, 2004 10:51 am

I wish I could say something to uplift you but I'm afraud I can't. Unless you have much experience in airframe engineering, or are an APE, the best you could hope for is a backdoor entry through a 3rd party facility. With a few years in stores, you might be able to wangle your way into structures at about $11.00-$13.00 per hour, And then, if you kiss enough butt or are exceptionally good, you might just work 10 months out of every year.

It's a tough industry, trust me.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

jmets18

Fri May 21, 2004 12:17 pm

thanks for the advice all...