nzblue

NZ2 744 Birdstrike At LAX - Question

Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:34 am

As it was landing today, our NZ2 flight suffered a single bird strike to the wing. From what I can gather, the bird struck the fully extended landing flap on the left wing. No word on damage.

My question is this: Would a single bird strike to a wing, stabilizer, or fuselage (any non-engine strike) on takeoff or landing be enough to cancel a flight (assuming the bird was, say, a seagull, which are very common on LAX grounds)? If it were on takeoff, would the pilot even be aware of a such a strike? Would it cause a return to the airport?

Similarly, would a single seagull-sized bird ingestion into an engine be enough to require a flight to make a return landing? Are pilots aware when this happens?

Thanks for shedding some light on this topic.
(sorry if it's already been discussed here to death)

-NZblue
It's an entirely different kind of flying; all together.

EMBQA

RE: NZ2 744 Birdstrike At LAX - Question

Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:43 am

Yes, it could. Just look at it this way. Your hitting at 5lb weight doing 150 miles an hour..!! It's going to do damage....!! As far as the engine, most likey no... High bypass engines are designed to handle some FOD, and many times it passes through the fan section... never actually passing through the engine.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

Mr.BA

Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:07 am

If the bird actually hit the wing rather than being ingested into any of the engines, how would the pilot know his plane struck a bird?

Cheers!
Boeing747 万岁!

AndersNilsson

Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:47 am

Maybe from someone in the cabin seeing the collision or noticing malfunction in
slats or some other parts not working as expected. Or after landing.
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/tech_ops/read.main/89765/

http://www.birdstrike.org/commlink/top_ten.htm

Anders

[Edited 2004-06-09 01:49:56]

[Edited 2004-06-09 01:51:48]

[Edited 2004-06-09 02:09:44]
Airliner photography is not a crime.

QANTAS747-438

Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:07 am

I was at the gate when it came in. I believe it was ZK-NBV. The plane landed with no incident, taxied to gate 21 like normal and was towed into the gate. After all the passengers got off, the maintence crew put all of the flaps and leading edge flaps down. It was quite a site to see.

It seems like they were looking at the main flap right behind the #2 engine. All of the flaps were extended for about 10-15 minutes, and soon after, everything was retracted and the flight later took off for LHR. So to me, that suggested that there was no damage. I suppose that something like this would either show damage or it wouldnt... so that made sense to me that it was a quick inspection.
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

kaddyuk

Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:46 pm

I remember a bird taking out the wing root landing light on a SQ772 @ MAN once. The pilot seemed to know that it happened instantly, the checker car went on the runway to find the remains. he found a wing and a little bit of feather fluff... Nothing else was found lmao...
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

nzblue

Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:04 am

QANTAS747-438,

Good to know someone else was able to take a look at our little situation last week. I myself can't wait to get my DOA badge so I can get out onto the ramp when interesting things like this happen...especially now that "someone" decided to take out our windows in the T2 office  Sad  Sad  Sad

I saw the 747 taxi in and took huge notice when I just happened to glance out said window and see all the flaps were fully re-deployed right in front of me. When you see this up close, especially on a 747, it's really impressive just how much more wing there actually is. Seeing it from afar does it no justice!

-NZblue
It's an entirely different kind of flying; all together.

ZKSUJ

Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:19 pm

I saw a show on TV where a Pacific Blue 738 got a bird in the Number 1 engine at Christchurch during take off. The pilot knew about it as soon as it struck, but the flight continued on to Wellington. So Judging by that, I don't think that there is too much of a problem (on that occasion anyway). But when they landed, there had to be an extensive search and clean up of the engine before the flight could go back.

SUJ