Structures And Fatigue

Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:47 pm

In another essay we have no notes on fatigue, I need to explain the following

Fatigue due to:
Cyclic Loading
Sonic Effects
Thermal Effects
Corrosion

Where they effect the airframe are and how they are caused.

Can anyone help please... Thanx  Smile
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

greasespot

RE: Structures And Fatigue

Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:21 pm

For an Aircraft maintenance school they sure do not give you many references. I know all my books and instructors explained all that very well.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

You sure we are not doing your homework for you because you do not want to look it up ?  Smile

If this has not been answered (which it will of course) when I get home tonight I will get you the references from the books for you and the books we used. They were really good books and helped a lot. Especially when I was writing my lisc. Exams.

GS

Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

AUAE

Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:13 pm

Kaddyuk,

Cyclic Loading Fatigue - Caused by either cyclic pressure loadings or cyclic stress, ie all pressurized areas of an aircraft, the landing gear, engine disks

Sonic Effects - Fatigue caused by the pressure differences due to sonic pressure waves, can be found in engine inlet cowls, areas adjacent to the engine that have thin metal. Usually only thin structure affected by this. The exception would be turbine blades and vanes.

Thermal Effects - Fatigue due to the cyclic expansion and contraction or material due to heat loss or gain. Brakes are a good example, as are any turbine component.

Corrosion Fatigue - Material Failure due to a tensile stress and corrosive environent. Both the stress and corrosive environment must be present for this to happen. Most likely found in 6000 or 7000 series aluminum or high strength steel components on aircraft.

Shawn
Air transport is just a glorified bus operation. -Michael O'Leary, Ryanair's chief executive

kaddyuk

Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:08 pm

I am sure you arent doing this for me...

We were set alot of assignments but they dont give us very comprehensive notes and because of the hopelessness of our college they dont tell us where to look. We tried the AMM and the SRM with not much luck. We searched the internet but there isnt much information that we could find which was useable.

Thanx for the help shawn, all we need is a sentance on each

A/c train

Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:05 am

We have a whole technical library of licence course notes were I work and im 100% sure we 'aint as rich as you are.
Books purely on aircraft structure/systems and components etc etc. Whatever you wanted to know down to how a MOSFET transistor works !!
cheapy VS training, you guys are supost to be the creme de la creme, ''hope I said that right''

Duncan

Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:31 am

Check out Bruhn's "Analysis and Design of Flight Vehicle Strutures", it's not a very user friendly book and is old, but is the bible for any aerospace engineer (well on the design and analysis side), Walk through the design offices of any large aircraft manufacturers and you'll see plenty of copies in peoples book shelves..... I think it's one of those books that people like to show they have, but not many people fully understand, like Steve Hawking's 'Brief history....' or War and Peace..

DD

MD11Engineer

Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:13 am

Duncan,

Do you know where I can get this book? I´ve been looking for something like this for a long time. I tried Amazon, but they don´t have it, even second hand.
There were some good Russian books about aircraft design in German translations in the public libraries in former East Germany, but they are out of print as well.

Jan

Kaddyuk,
I don´t know what you are aiming for, but the Jeppesen A&P text books had quite a bit about corrosion.
I used them, in conjunction with Pallet´s books on aircraft electrics and avionics when I prepared myself for my licence exams.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

kaddyuk

Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:29 am

We arent at Virgin thats the whole source of the problem.

In our first year, we spend every day at college about 11 miles from the comprehensive technical library in Virgin.

We never seem to get access to it. We will do in about 8 weeks but then college is finished, all assignments are in and we dont have much use for the library anymore :/