Soulman
Topic Author

Wouldn't This Guy Be Feeling The Heat?

Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:10 pm

Hey guys,

Saw this picture earlier this evening and decided to have a closer look at it. Was wondering if the guy situated behind the 757 in the upper left corner (sitting on the bucket) would be feeling the heat of the 757's engine - even if it is only idling? I do remember seeing the damage a 747 engine at power could do to a passing vehicle some 50 or so feet from the aircraft.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Juan Carlos Guerra Aviation Photography of Mexico

I know this guy doesn't look as close as he really is - but still... Couldn't this be dangerous?

Cheers,

Soulman.

Starlionblue

RE: Wouldn't This Guy Be Feeling The Heat?

Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:13 pm

Looks like an orange Dalek to me.

Jokes aside, the zoom lens seems to be playing it's usual tricks. That guy is way over on the other side of a service road. Probably not as close as it seems. But he will get a bit of blast.

And wasn't that movie a spoof/hoax/training aid?
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

dl757md

Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:22 pm

From my experience (I work on 757s every day), unless the pilots really bumped up the throttles the most the guy is going to get is about a 60mph warm gust. Sitting like he is it won't probably bother him.

The 747 blowing the truck is a little misleading. The 747 was at TO power and the truck (whose engine was removed) was pulled behind it. The thing took off like a kite.

There is a HUGE difference between idle and TO thrust. So no I don't see a problem here.

Dl757md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

Soulman
Topic Author

Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:32 pm

A warm 60mph gust - that'd be nice on a cold day!

Thanks for the replies guys - gotta love the punctuality of a.net forums!

Soulman.

FredT

Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:28 pm

Having spent lots of time at that approximate distance behind 757s with their engines running, I can testify that the heat is not a problem. After 25 minutes or so of it, you’ll notice that jet exhaust contains some nasty stuff though. It has about the same effect as spending a day on the beach without sunblock... not overly pleasant. And to think you’ve also been breathing the stuff...

Cheers,
Fred
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

Ryan h

Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:59 pm

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Ryan Hothersall

Surprisingly standing behind the Saab there was more blast from it than the 737 that taxied out about 5 mins after it.

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Ryan Hothersall

Even at a low power settings I thought that the blast would be extreme from a jet but it was not.
South Australian Spotter www.ryanhothersall.net

cancidas

Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:40 pm

A warm 60mph gust - that'd be nice on a cold day!

thats why a/c engines and APUs are perfect ramp heaters in the winter!!!
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

MD11Engineer

Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:09 am

My favourite spot in winter (while waiting for the loaders to finish, if I don´t have a vehicle), about 10 meters from the APU exhaust of a MD-11 or under the aircon ram air exhaust of a B757 or B767. Unfortunately the ram air exhaust of the 727 is too low to stand under and the one on the A300 blows backwards along the fuselage, not downwards.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

JHSfan

Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:33 am

Thinking of SXM... [I've never been there  Crying ]
The take off of an A340 can be seen at http://www.simradar.com/Feature/2181/A340_jetblasting.html
More examples can be found on the homepage.
I guess the people on the video survived the blast without looking like a roasted duck afterwards...

So my conclusion must be that the Mexican guy had no problems with the 757.

Yours in realtime
JHSfan
Look at me, I´m riding high, I´m the airbornmaster of the sky...

SlamClick

Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:15 am

That is the smoking section.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

SparkyN501

Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:47 am

"My favourite spot in winter (while waiting for the loaders to finish, if I don´t have a vehicle), about 10 meters from the APU exhaust of a MD-11 or under the aircon ram air exhaust of a B757 or B767. Unfortunately the ram air exhaust of the 727 is too low to stand under and the one on the A300 blows backwards along the fuselage, not downwards."

Watch where you stand! Twice in the last 6 months CRJ APU's have thrown bits of a gear out of the APU exhaust. Lucky no one was hurt, but one piece went into the side of a parts truck on the ramp!
Arguing with a pilot is like mudwrestling a pig. After awhile you begin to think the pig likes it.

mandala499

Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:15 pm

I've used 732 JT8Ds as my morning hairdryers before Big grin On a few occasions I did get jetblasted through.

My routine morning "hairdryer" was replaced by dragging a trolley accross the ramp. My usual hair dryer was about to leave, I decided that walking in front of him wouldn't be a good idea and I didn't fancy a lecturing from the Apron Movement Controllers... besides, there was 1 jet holding short of the runway next to the path I would have taken, and another 732 awaiting taxy clearance. So I walked behind my usual hairdryer, this time, dragging a trolley. Just as I was right behind the engine, it spolled up to get it rolling for taxying (self manouvering ramps at this airport)... Well, more surprised than blasted, I fell to the floor... with the whole ramp laughing in my face!

Yes it's warm, not hot Big grin During the midday heat, i stand behind props doing engine runs Big grin I must be crazy...

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !