kaddyuk

Aviation Project Design

Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:06 am

I have to design and build a small project for my NVQ in engineering.

I have short listed a few ideas but cant make a descision.

The contenders are...

A wing with a moveable Aileron.

Fuselage section with moveable landing gear

Aircraft Fire protection system which detects a fire and sets off an alarm.

Which do you think would be a good system to make...?

I like all of them and need some outside opinions and input.

Thanx  Smile
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

lehpron

RE: Aviation Project Design

Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:20 am

how are you supposed to make whatever it is? Are you given a buget, teams, etc?

If you have a few weeks make it simple. Last year a few students in my wind tunnel class proposed a auto rotation thing which took the whole semester to build and they did not have much time to test anything. My group carved out a small bike helmet out of some scrap wood and we planned for our procrastination, we finished on time and were the only ones who wore ties at our presentation.

Remember, plan and keep it simple, for the purposes of academia of course.  Wink/being sarcastic

Good luck and ask lots 'o questions, here and beyond.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

FredT

Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:20 pm

Landing gears tend to get incredibly complex mechanically. I'd stay away from that one.

Fire detection, hmm... you'd probably end up buying stock parts. Not much fun.

Go with the aileron. That'll let you dig deeper into such matters as differentiated aileron movement due to adverse yaw. How to rig that? Check out the shape of the bellkranks used, a T where the angles aren't perpendicular. It is mechanically manageable, yet is a good project to show on a number of interesting features of aircraft, both mechanical and aerodynamical. Make something out of wires vs pushrods and so on... simple but expandable!

Cheers,
Fred
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

air2gxs

Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:39 pm

Actually, the fire detection system is probably easier and cheaper than you would think.

A piece of rigid tubing, some gas (you could probably use ambient air), a pressure switch (low pressure) or a microswitch (sensitive) and the warning device and associated wiring.