CRJ900
Topic Author

Are ERJs And CRJs Etops Certified?

Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:32 am

I'm particularly wondering about the ERJs and CRJs flying with US regional airlines. Do some of these airlines fly RJs across the Mexican Gulf to Cancun or Florida-Texas/Mexico or US-Caribbean?

Can airlines order aircraft with 60, 90, 120 or 180 minutes ETOPS, or does the manufacturer have to complete standard ETOPS tests and have the aircraft approved by FAA and JAA before offering them to customers?

Just wondering. Anyone in-the-know somewhere out there?

Regards, Ivan

Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

EMBQA

RE: Are ERJs And CRJs Etops Certified?

Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:03 am

I don't think CRJ's and ERJ's are ETOPS qualified as they would never fly more then 2 hours from a main land.....I can't think of anywhere in the world they would even be exposed to an environment like that.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

XFSUgimpLB41X

Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:57 am

Nor do we have enough fuel to go 2 hours from mainland carrying anything more than the CEO's poodle....
Chicks dig winglets.

FinnWings

Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:35 am

CRJs don't have the life rafts on board in case of ditching. Therefore, they aren't allowed to fly further away from the coast line than 100nm when passengers are on board. I believe same thing is with ERJ... That is one reason why they can't have ETOPS either.

Best Regards,
FinnWings

OPNLguy

Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:24 am

By their very nature, RJs are not long-haul aircraft, and ETOPS is a non-issue.

I think there's some confusion in that some folks may thing that ETOPS and extended overwater operations are one and the same, and they're not.

As far as RJs running extended overwater flights (i.e. more than 50nm from the nearest shoreline), that's dependent on the airline flying them having lifevests/liferafts onboard appropriate to the distance they'll be offshore, and the general range limit of the aircraft.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.