airtran737

Origin Of Cockpit

Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:59 pm

I've searched to no avail. Can someone please tell me how the word cockpit became to be. I understand its use as a naval term, but what about its use regarding aircraft?
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

bsergonomics

RE: Origin Of Cockpit

Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:20 pm

Purely a guess:

The cockpit of a yacht is where the boat is controlled from. It is usually a sunken part, with access to the cabin etc. The fact that it is sunken would make it resemble the pits used for animal fighting (dogs, bears, cocks etc.). Therefore, a cock pit would be a pit used for cockfighting.

Since most aviation terminology comes from the naval world, the part with the controls would naturally be called the cockpit.

What do you think?
The definition of a 'Pessimist': an Optimist with experience...

N766UA

Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:49 pm

The origin of the word cockpit is as follows:

The cockpits of early aircraft were often so small and cramped that the pilots likened them to the holes used for cockfighting. Hence, as Bsergonomics stated, it would be a pit used for cockfighting: a cockpit.
This Website Censors Me

MD11Engineer

Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:29 pm

Originaly the term comes from cock fighting ( as still customary e.g. in the Philippines). Two roosters, with metal blades attached to their feet, are set against each other in a pit (or a circular cage made of wood, but open on top for the spectators) to prevent them from running away.
This term was later used for sailing dingies and yachts, you sit on the sill and put your feet into the cockpit, while handling the tiller and the sheet.
Since many aviation traditions derive of maritime traditions (see the white hat of PanAm pilots), the term cockpit was taken over in aviation for the place from which you control the plane.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Pugwash

Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:33 pm

According to The Sailor's Word Book by Admiral Smyth, 1867, the cockpit is the place where wounded men were attended to, situated near the after hatchway and under the lower gundeck. The midshipmen alone inhabited the cockpit in former times but in later days commission and warrant officers, civilians etc, had their cabins there...
Whether this in turn was named after the cock-fighting arena I don't know. Perhaps the young midshipman were always fighting and strutting their stuff.
In the 18th century the cockpit in London was the Treasury or Privy Council, or another word for a house where rebels met.
In general English today a cockpit is an arena of action, like "Iraq is a cockpit of war..."

cancidas

Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:36 am

i've always wondered the following:

if there is an all-female flight crew, can you still refer to the flight deck as a cockpit?
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

N766UA

Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:29 am

All female crew= Box Office.
This Website Censors Me

QantasA332

Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:54 am

This article provides some insight into the origins...

Cheers,
QantasA332

ZKSUJ

Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:55 am

Interesting, Cock pit probably came from the yatchs, but I know that Flight deck came from ships.