yanksn4

What Is High Gross Weight Option?

Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:12 pm

Greetings everyone. I was looking through the section that contains information on different airliners and etc. and when I looked for the range of a speficic aircraft, I saw that the "High Gross Weight Option" had a significant longer range. Can anyone please tell me what is this "High Gross Weight Option"? Thank you for your responses.

-Signed,
Matthew
2013 Airports: EWR, JFK, LGA, LIS, AGP, DEN, GIG, RGN, BKK, LHR, FRA, LAX, SYD, PER, MEL, MCO, MIA, PEK, IAH

AFC_Ajax00

RE: What Is High Gross Weight Option?

Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:15 pm

IIRC, its simply a beefed up airframe that allows the aircraft to carry more fuel to increase range or more payload to increase revenue. Its simply an increase in MTOW, and empty weight as well usually.
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you long to return

broke

Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:10 am

A maximum take off weight increase option may not increase the empty weight of an airplane. But the manufacturer has proprietary data that an operator has to pay for when it is possible to certify an increase the MTOW of a airplane in their fleet. This generally will allow for longer range operations. More flexibility is gained if the zero fuel weight is also increased. Increases in ZFW will allow more payload to be carried, and increase in MTOW may only allow more fuel, but not more payload.

saintsman

Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:29 am

We are just about to do a MTOW increase mod on a Dornier 228.

The undercarriage is being strengthened along with bigger wheels and brakes, adjustments to the flying control setting, new ASIs (different settings), new props and strakes fitted to the rear fuselage.

Fuel tanks stay the same.