Western737
Topic Author

Not All 737-200 Leading Slat All Same?

Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:38 am

As I grew up flying WA 737-247's, I vividly remembered WA's 737-247's leading slat functions during landing approach only till I looked at all other airlines' 732's and realized that WA 732's probably the ones of fewest 732 types that has leading slats function different from most of 732's. What I am trying to say that most 732 leading slats tend to have first 2 slats go down little bit further than end slat. While WA's 732 is opposite as thier end leading slat down more further than first 2 slats. It's only during landing, not during take off. Can anybody tell why is that? I cant find best picture of WA 732's landing approach with end leading slat so here this one.

As most 732's leading slats look like this below.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

WA's 732 leading slat is different with end slat is down further.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © AirNikon

slawko

RE: Not All 737-200 Leading Slat All Same?

Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:00 am

the -200ADV (Advanced) has a different slat configuration then the -200B (Basic), but I dont recall the details of the differences.
"Clive Beddoe says he favours competition, but his actions do not support that idea." Robert Milton - CEO Air Canada

OPNLguy

Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:38 am

The Western aircraft that you pictured is an older -200 "Basic" version" as evidenced by the "sucker doors" on the engine cowlings, and the leading edge Krueger flaps (between engine and fuselage) that stop short of going all the way to the fuselage.

Boeing started making all 737-200s as "Advanced" (ADV) versions in 1971 or so, and the ADVs had numerous improvements over the Basics. The sucker doors disappeared, the engine cowlings got a little longer, and the leading edge Krueger flaps now went much futher towards the fuselage. As a result of all these aerodynamic improvements, permissible weights also increased.

I'll have to do some checking (with some retirees, since the Basic/ADV changeover was so long ago) to be sure, but I seem to recall that the #2, #3, #4 and #5 slats on the ADVs were re-engineered to deploy further in the "full extend" regime, thus matching the #1 and #6 slats (the most outboard). Looking at http://www.b737.org.uk/history.htm and scrolling down to the section on the ADVs, they mention the changes in slat sequencing as well.

I'll try to track someone down and post an update later...

[Edited 2004-08-01 23:50:12]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Western737
Topic Author

Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:49 am

Thanks OPNLguy for clear explaination on between pre-advance and advanced 732! I have been a big fan on 732 for long time, I didnt even realized that advanced 732 doesnt have sucker door on engine cowling!

miamiair

Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:39 pm

They are called blocker doors. And they were found mostly on the -100's. When Boeing stretched the fuselage to make the -200, the blocker doors disappeared also.

Maybe the extension is when full flaps is selected...Why not post it in the Tech/Ops forum?
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

HAWK21M

Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:12 pm

The correct term should be Inlet cowl blow in door.

The Basic & Advanced slat difference is the staggering of the #1 & #6 slat which is slightly aft compared to the other slats in the Advanced version.
The reason for actuator of a particular slat moving before or after another depending on the pressure developed at that particular actuator & the friction present on the slat tracks.

regds
HAWK
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)